Notices

The "not so nice" side of NYE

Old 12-31-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The "not so nice" side of NYE

I just posted in another post that i received a text from a friend that one of my best friends is so drunk he's foaming from his mouth as i was told and has fell down at the bar he is at (NYE party) several times. A part if me wants to go "rescue" him but i know he is there with other people he knows. As well, i know i made my choice to stay sober and he made his choice to get in that state of drunkenness. Its 16 degrees where i live so i worry that he may end up solo and freeze to death, drive or possibly get arrested. But when is enough, enough. I love him like a brother but i cant be my brothers keeper every time. Or maybe i'm not the friend i ought to be. Regardless, if your thinking about drinking tonight i hope the above situation deters you.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow the things alcohol puts people through! Sorry about your friend! Hopefully they will make it home alright. Tomorrow won't be fun for them.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's terrible. Foaming at the mouth is a sign of an overdose. Can you text who ever is with him and tell them to get him to an ER?
Old 12-31-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah it sounds like he needs some medical assistance.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree Alynn. Its not like we are in our 20's. We are in our early 40's. He is also a business owner so i hope that this does not affect his business. I have tried to encourage him to stop drinking since i got serious about quitting but be disregards any advice about sobriety. Anyway i am not trying to bring anyone down this NYE but put the story up as as a deterrent. If it helped one person. Goal achieved.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He will probably be fine but just wake up with one hell of a hangover tomorrow. It sounds like he is with friends so I'm sure that they can prop him up a few more times or walk with him in between them with one arm over each shoulder.

You could offer to be a designated driver to the group that would be nice of you. I have been a designated driver several times when people have called me at 1 AM and ask for a ride.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

You are doing excellent Charlie and congratulations on your sobriety.
Considering that you are in early sobriety you are right where you should be: at home in your pjs. I am sure your friend will be ok and anyway if something goes wrong there are people there who can call 911.
Turn off your cell phone if if the messages are triggering to you
Happy Sober New Year to you!
Old 12-31-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Charlie, you are the friend you ought to be. You are concerned. Ditto what Carlotta said. You are right where you need to be. Home. This was his choice. What you can do best for him is to support him if he ever decides he's had enough and show him the way.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

You did right Charlie.

Try not to worry - I was always told 'God looks after idiots and drinks' - I scored big in both columns - must be why I'm still here
Old 12-31-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Thanks for the reminder Charlie.....what a sad way to bring in the New Year. You are a good friend & I agree with the others, right where you should be.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

besides drinking God does look after drunks too
Old 01-01-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good for you! We can't save the world just need to stay available when friends reach out for help - and they do/will
Take care of you first
Old 01-01-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charlie117926 View Post
I agree Alynn. Its not like we are in our 20's. We are in our early 40's. He is also a business owner so i hope that this does not affect his business. I have tried to encourage him to stop drinking since i got serious about quitting but be disregards any advice about sobriety. Anyway i am not trying to bring anyone down this NYE but put the story up as as a deterrent. If it helped one person. Goal achieved.
It amazes me how many business owners and other leaders and 'respected members of the community' can be found ridiculously drunk at the bars in my town on any given night.....

You did the right thing staying home.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awh Charlie
I hope your friend is ok.
But he's big enough to make his own choices. You can only do what you're doing - trying to encourage him to quit......but it has to be his choice.
Ruby is right - hopefully he'll decide to quit - and you can support him.
x
Old 01-01-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry to hear that i hope your friend is ok

You did the right thing by not getting involved