Notices

new trouble sleeping

Old 12-31-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

new trouble sleeping

I was sleeping pretty well after about a week sober, now all of the sudden I'm waking up every few hours all night long. Is this a me thing or an alcohol thing? I've been continuously sober for 28 days but I've decreased my intake a lot since September. I was an almost everyday (5-7 days a week) drinker. I went down to a few days on then a week or two off for a couple months before finally cutting myself off completely. Anyway.. I'm not sure why I'm having trouble sleeping all of the sudden. Any thoughts?
Old 12-31-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm my experience thesr things come and go. I was tired all the time at 28 days, and could sleep all day, but when bedtime came around I would sleep and get up every few hours and have to work to get back to bed. That lasted about a week or two.

But each of us are different. Best of luck to you!
Old 12-31-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It took me at least a few weeks to get back to a somewhat normal sleep pattern. It takes time to undo the damage we did.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Took me a while to start getting regular sleep it does get better tho ive had sleep problems for years but staying sober really helps

good luck Erin
Old 12-31-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I should also mention that the dreams started to come back after 2 to 3 weeks of sibriety. I hadn't realized that I stopped dreaming and when I started remembering pleasant dreams, it was a huge relief.

Also, since we are all so different, one amount of alcohol may affect you completely different than someone else.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, im going through exactly the same thing at 38 days sober. Could sleep in most of day but not when i need to before work. I think its disrupted sleep patterns/ cycles. It also makes me wake up groggy. I think good routine is the answer.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I also tapered back on alcohol, but still had all kinds of sleep issues the first few months. ExercIse really helps. I've also become more sensitive to caffeine. If I don't have any coffee or tea in the afternoon I sleep better but it's still not great after 16 months. Remember the brain is rewiring things, and also the brain chemistry takes a long time to get back to normal. Serotonin and all that.