Notices

Non-alcoholic beer/virgin cocktails?

Old 12-29-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Stay positive.

Non-alcoholic beer/virgin cocktails?

Ok, so I am finding myself becoming more and more confused as to if consuming a non-alcoholic beer, or a virgin cocktail helps or hurts the sobriety process. Or is it to each their own? I understand that a lot of non-alcoholic beer has less than 1% of alcohol in it.... but does having one count as having a real drink? My addictions counselor who I am starting to not be a fan of (for many reasons other than this), told me that I absolutely need to stay away from non-alcoholic beer because it promotes the wrong type of "behavior" and she thinks that it will be detrimental to my recovery. Then, in the same breath she tells me I can have a virgin pina colada or cocktail as a 'treat' to myself. Isn't it the exact same thing? If I pour juice in my wine glass and sit with other people who are actually drinking wine, aren't I exhibiting social drinking behavior?
Old 12-29-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I drink Virgin Rum and Coke all the time
If I pour juice in my wine glass and sit with other people who are actually drinking wine, aren't I exhibiting social drinking behavior?
I see it more as an example of conforming and people pleasing than social drinking. It might be useful for someone new to sobriety who has yet to be able to just say: No thank you.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with social drinking btw, the only thing is that in my case (and probably most people here) there was absolutely nothing social about my drinking LOL.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i agree with the "behaviour" comment. it is a "substitute" and involves some/all of the same rituals, rituals which are ingrained in a groove in my mind.
and probably yours.
which is probably the reason you want to have the low-alcohol beer in thr first place.
the groove.

i needed that groove to be de-activated, not kept open.

i needed to build new, sober ones.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The reason I drank beer was to get drunk. Drinking non alcoholic beer wouldn't accomplish that, and would likely lead to me drinking the real thing. I don't need the temptation.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

My experience is I don't drink NA beer because it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.

I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought paterns.

I don't recommend it.

I don't need to know but maybe ask yourself why would you choose NA beer (or wine or virgin cocktails) when there's so many other things to drink, though?

Is it really the taste of a beer you want, or are there other things happening here as well?

D
Old 12-29-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

NA beer is a topic that comes up here regularly. Because of that, just about everyone already knows my opinion, but I think some misunderstand. So I continue to give it .

I think NA beer is a really bad idea for someone in early sobriety looking to replace the real thing. It's just keeping a part of the habit alive without the effect, and seems pointless. From what I've heard, most that do this eventually wind up drinking again.

That being said, once I was secure in my sobriety - I had well over a year - I would have one occasionally. It was a little freaky the first time. It kicked up some memories and because of that I didn't do it again right away, but the next time I did it, it didn't phase me at all. I actually like the taste, and enjoy one once in a while, so I don't hold back. In 30 years of sobriety I can count the times I drank 2 on a single evening on one hand, and if I buy a 6 pack it can sit in my refrigerator for months. It doesn't speak to me, it doesn't kick up any urges, it's no different to me than a pepsi - except that I like the taste more.

NA beer DOES have a percentage of alcohol in it, but it has no more alcohol than 7up, and certain juices. It has the amount written on the label only because it's labeled as NA. If OJ or 7up labeled itself as NA they would have to include the alcohol content on their label too. Silly laws, but they are what they are.

And before someone says it, if they haven't already while I've been typing this - if they believe 'non alcoholic beers are for non alcoholics' - then I would have to add that it would only stand to reason that alcoholic beers are for alcoholics. That expression annoys the crap out of me, so I thought I'd hopefully beat anyone to the punch .

Despite all that, I'd strongly advise against it until you're sober long enough to make an experienced and educated decision on whether or not you want to play around like that. I feel I took a gamble and got lucky. Others haven't had the same luck.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What Dee said, with the added.

Mock cocktails are fruit or vegetable juice, minus the alcohol. Any juice out there, alone or in combination, has probably been used as a mixer for some sort of alcoholic drink at some point. I guess it depends on whether you typically drank those particular cocktails as your drunk of choice. I'm not explaining this right but I never chose to go out of my way to get drunk on piņa coladas. I don't have a fantasy of laying on the beach, sipping them at sunset. I do, however, like the taste combination of pineapple juice and coconut. So for me, drinking a fake piņa colada would work.

It is the associated ritual or fantasy that gets you in trouble. I have one bottle of soda in a bottle that looks like a beer bottle. I've been meaning to dump it because I didn't like the soda but also because it is uncomfortable seeing the stupid bottle when I open the cupboard.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
The reason I drank beer was to get drunk. Drinking non alcoholic beer wouldn't accomplish that, and would likely lead to me drinking the real thing. I don't need the temptation.
Agreed! N/A beer has alcohol in it anyway. Not much but enough to ruin my sobriety date if I'm being "honest" with myself. Plus I'd end up saying "screw this! I want a REAL beer!"

What's the point, really??? Why not drink soda, water, juice...I wouldn't risk it. Just my 2 cents whatever it's worth...

Hang in there.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If its walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it must be a duck! Does this rule apply here lol
Old 12-29-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
NA beer is a topic that comes up here regularly. Because of that, just about everyone already knows my opinion, but I think some misunderstand. So I continue to give it . I think NA beer is a really bad idea for someone in early sobriety looking to replace the real thing. It's just keeping a part of the habit alive without the effect, and seems pointless. From what I've heard, most that do this eventually wind up drinking again. That being said, once I was secure in my sobriety - I had well over a year - I would have one occasionally. It was a little freaky the first time. It kicked up some memories and because of that I didn't do it again right away, but the next time I did it, it didn't phase me at all. I actually like the taste, and enjoy one once in a while, so I don't hold back. In 30 years of sobriety I can count the times I drank 2 on a single evening on one hand, and if I buy a 6 pack it can sit in my refrigerator for months. It doesn't speak to me, it doesn't kick up any urges, it's no different to me than a pepsi - except that I like the taste more. NA beer DOES have a percentage of alcohol in it, but it has no more alcohol than 7up, and certain juices. It has the amount written on the label only because it's labeled as NA. If OJ or 7up labeled itself as NA they would have to include the alcohol content on their label too. Silly laws, but they are what they are. And before someone says it, if they haven't already while I've been typing this - if they believe 'non alcoholic beers are for non alcoholics' - then I would have to add that it would only stand to reason that alcoholic beers are for alcoholics. That expression annoys the crap out of me, so I thought I'd hopefully beat anyone to the punch . Despite all that, I'd strongly advise against it until you're sober long enough to make an experienced and educated decision on whether or not you want to play around like that. I feel I took a gamble and got lucky. Others haven't had the same luck.
Joe, "to thine own self be true" but my old sponsor who had 30 years of sobriety told me drinking a NA beer would be a relapse b/c it has alcohol in it. Much more than OJ or 7-up, she said. Who knows if she's right???

Anyway...for me, drinking non-alcoholic drinks would be a form of self-torture anyway.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blueyes618 View Post
Ok, so I am finding myself becoming more and more confused as to if consuming a non-alcoholic beer, or a virgin cocktail helps or hurts the sobriety process. Or is it to each their own? I understand that a lot of non-alcoholic beer has less than 1% of alcohol in it.... but does having one count as having a real drink? My addictions counselor who I am starting to not be a fan of (for many reasons other than this), told me that I absolutely need to stay away from non-alcoholic beer because it promotes the wrong type of "behavior" and she thinks that it will be detrimental to my recovery. Then, in the same breath she tells me I can have a virgin pina colada or cocktail as a 'treat' to myself. Isn't it the exact same thing? If I pour juice in my wine glass and sit with other people who are actually drinking wine, aren't I exhibiting social drinking behavior?
Given that I only drank to get drunk I never understood the appeal of nonalcoholic beer.

But that's me.

Is it a bad idea? well its certainly something I'd think carefully about.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ya**!

Kinda reminds me of the "flourless" cake Venecia was making the other day. Interesting idea but I don't see the point
Old 12-30-2014, 01:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
My experience is I don't drink NA beer because it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.

I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought paterns.

I don't recommend it.

I don't need to know but maybe ask yourself why would you choose NA beer (or wine or virgin cocktails) when there's so many other things to drink, though?

Is it really the taste of a beer you want, or are there other things happening here as well?

D
This
Old 12-30-2014, 01:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't think that would scratch any itch for me. On the contrary, I think it has the potential to form the right conditions for a rash! No thanks.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know some hard charging recovering alcoholics who have an NA beer at from time to time and they seem to do just fine with it. They have both been sober 2+ years. Neither of them were beer drinkers either. AA condones it.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

Na drinks are like decaf coffee

To me both are essentially useless

V
Old 12-30-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I had a friend offer to buy me one of those virgin fancy-a-- $8 cocktails at a fancy restaurant and I turned it down. It had probably 12 different exotic ingredients in it. No alcohol of course but I still turned it down. Something about the "Fancy" BS and list of all the foodie BS in it turned me off and reminded me of drinking.

I was just fine with my Pepsi.

NA beer gets a big NO from me. Even tasting "beer" would give me the willies.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vandermast View Post
Na drinks are like decaf coffee To me both are essentially useless V
And decaf coffee should really be called "half caffeine" because it still had 50% caffeine unless you get really expensive kind. Lol
Old 12-30-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tonks View Post
Kinda reminds me of the "flourless" cake Venecia was making the other day. Interesting idea but I don't see the point
....Or an ice cream sundae with no ice cream! Hamburger with no meat. Omelet with no eggs. Pointless for me. Haha.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I never had a problem with NA beers. Especially if you're feeling tempted for the real thing. A couple of times having one or two kept me from drinking, especially when I was out with the ex-GF and she was having wine. That said, some people mentally process it as a slip and off they go - if you're one of those don't do it.