Notices

Some of the positives of 90 days sober

Old 12-29-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some of the positives of 90 days sober

Feel free to add to this list. I just woke up and am thrilled I am up and sober. So some things worth waiting for...
The ability to hold a conversation. Even when I was sober, I could not hold a conversation. I would start a story, start a new story, then another then I would totally forget what I wAs talking about and hear "just shut up Jen" in my head. That had improved DRASTICALLY. I thought I had some other kind of mental disorder. Nah, just the results of alcoholism.
The pain under my right rib cage is GONE!
My energy levels are finally improving. I don't need a nap everyday.
Playing with my daughter is actually fun, not a burden that gets in the way of my drinking. I love her new RC cars she got for Christmas.
I have not had girlfriends since I was a teen. I thought everyone was out to get me. I have one really good one and a handful of others.
Serenity. Most of the time I am so stinking content and happy it's ridiculous. That "monthly" thing is a killer but it's temporary.
The quieting of the chatter in my head. It's going away!
There is so much that seemed impossible 90 days ago. I am excited for life again. I feel like a kid.

Jennifer
Old 12-29-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

CG that list is awesome
Old 12-29-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh...my... I read through some of my early posts, like last March and early September. The painful reminder of being drunk and hungover makes me sick. It feels heavy, depressing and it makes me nauseous to read those posts. I need those early posts. I made absolutely no sense.

Jennifer
Old 12-29-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was sitting in a movie theater the other day seeing Wild and realized that I felt calm just sitting there. My pulse was normal, breathing was calm and normal, hands were still in my lap, eyes very calmly watching the screen. My internal whatever-you-call-it-ness was just calm. Quiet, content, relaxed. That sure feels nice. Just to "be." Breathing, blinking, maybe smiling every now and then. Laughing at funny parts. Quietly and serenely shoveling popcorn into my mouth like I hadn't eaten in two weeks.

I'll never forget seeing Jersey Boys in the theater on July 2nd, three days sober, and I felt like I was going to crawl right out of my skin. Sweaty, hands fidgety, thinking about if I would or would not drink that night. Plagued with unease. Shoveling popcorn into my mouth like I hadn't eaten in two weeks. That was day three of my now six months.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We got a remote control car for christmas too!!!!

I get every point you make J.
Good for you.
What an awesome time of year to be able to write a post like this.

Wishing you the best xx
Old 12-29-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That warmed my heart what you wrote about playing with your daughter.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
We got a remote control car for christmas too!!!! I get every point you make J. Good for you. What an awesome time of year to be able to write a post like this. Wishing you the best xx
I love how you put "we" got an rc car, lol! Playing with it too, huh

Jennifer
Old 12-29-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Live easy but think first

Originally Posted by countrygirl2014 View Post
Feel free to add to this list. I just woke up and am thrilled I am up and sober. So some things worth waiting for... The ability to hold a conversation. Even when I was sober, I could not hold a conversation. I would start a story, start a new story, then another then I would totally forget what I wAs talking about and hear "just shut up Jen" in my head. That had improved DRASTICALLY. I thought I had some other kind of mental disorder. Nah, just the results of alcoholism. The pain under my right rib cage is GONE! My energy levels are finally improving. I don't need a nap everyday. Playing with my daughter is actually fun, not a burden that gets in the way of my drinking. I love her new RC cars she got for Christmas. I have not had girlfriends since I was a teen. I thought everyone was out to get me. I have one really good one and a handful of others. Serenity. Most of the time I am so stinking content and happy it's ridiculous. That "monthly" thing is a killer but it's temporary. The quieting of the chatter in my head. It's going away! There is so much that seemed impossible 90 days ago. I am excited for life again. I feel like a kid. Jennifer
This was very needed for me this morning. I woke up with a sense of dread to be awake, a refusal of body and spirit to do much of anything. Rough stuff and this is hope inducing. This will pass!
Old 12-29-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Live easy but think first

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I'll never forget seeing Jersey Boys in the theater on July 2nd, three days sober, and I felt like I was going to crawl right out of my skin. Sweaty, hands fidgety, thinking about if I would or would not drink that night. Plagued with unease. Shoveling popcorn into my mouth like I hadn't eaten in two weeks. That was day three of my now six months.
Thank you for this very timely post. I am on day three. This truly helped.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good daxemus! Hang in there!! It does get better

Jennifer
Old 12-29-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for this post (and Melinda for chiming in). Inner peace seems so unattainable to me right now. You're giving me a glimmer of hope.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks CG - what a wonderful way to start the morning.
Every day I wake up and feel better than the day before and now I know that it just keeps getting better.
Enjoying your daughter touched my heart. Thank you.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Big smiley right here. Like I said, just hang on tight. You will get through the bumps if you don't drink! Use all the tools presented to you. Take every suggestion even if it is way out of your norm. This whole world just lit up for me and the possibilities are exciting and endless. A cloud still goes by now and then and I have a lot of work to do but the clarity!!!! This is so worth it.

Jennifer
Old 12-29-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Jennifer - Day 36 here and it's great to hear about the positives that I/we may experience with prolonged sobriety. So positive - keep fighting the good fight!
Old 12-29-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by countrygirl2014 View Post
Feel free to add to this list. I just woke up and am thrilled I am up and sober. So some things worth waiting for...
The ability to hold a conversation. Even when I was sober, I could not hold a conversation. I would start a story, start a new story, then another then I would totally forget what I wAs talking about and hear "just shut up Jen" in my head. That had improved DRASTICALLY. I thought I had some other kind of mental disorder. Nah, just the results of alcoholism.
The pain under my right rib cage is GONE!
My energy levels are finally improving. I don't need a nap everyday.
Playing with my daughter is actually fun, not a burden that gets in the way of my drinking. I love her new RC cars she got for Christmas.
I have not had girlfriends since I was a teen. I thought everyone was out to get me. I have one really good one and a handful of others.
Serenity. Most of the time I am so stinking content and happy it's ridiculous. That "monthly" thing is a killer but it's temporary.
The quieting of the chatter in my head. It's going away!
There is so much that seemed impossible 90 days ago. I am excited for life again. I feel like a kid.

Jennifer
That's great! Well done! I too get feelings like I remember as a kid, guess it's just us feeling again!
Old 12-29-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yay and congratulations on 90 days! I think sobriety gives us a second childhood. We got RC helicopters here. Haven't played with them yet....
Old 12-29-2014, 10:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Fantastic and inspiring inventory! Thank you for posting and congratulations on 90 days!!
Old 12-29-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 90 days

D
Old 12-29-2014, 11:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Awesome work CG, keep it up