Notices

How did you quit with social pressures?

Old 12-29-2014, 12:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How did you quit with social pressures?

how did you quit?

For about three years now I've known I abuse alcohol but I wasn't ready to quit or say it out loud. Recently I've started admitting out loud that I cannot handle alcohol and that it wasn't for me at random times and I have felt fairly proud of it. I didn't drink for 80 days however I study in another city and come home for Christmas. I have ended up in jail, I lost my fiancé, I was kicked out of school for the career of my choice and I still couldn't stop. I kept going. After not drinking for 80 days and writing exams I felt the need to blow off steam. I blacked out multiple times, acted in ways I regret and don't even remember. This time around I recognize that Everyone is tired of it. I've spoken numerous times of quitting drinking and I desire to restore my ability to have respect for myself. I do not respect who I am or feel proud of who I am. I want to regain that and find out who I truly am. I want to quit drinking but how? People say "just stop" but get irritated if you're the only one not drinking when they invite you out or when it's convenient for them. People then say "you're more fun when you drink" but then if you do and you get too drunk they tell you you shouldn't drink anymore. How do you return home for a brief period of time to visit when everyone resorts to let's grab dinner and a drink to catch up and aren't really open to non alcoholic things? I live in a new city for school now and it seems the go to for when you meet new people is them inviting you to a bar and I've politely declined and tried to suggest another time to do something sober and they 99% of the time just cancel.. I'm in my mid 20's and I find everyone just resorts to liquor. Some say make new friends but I have severe social anxiety (which I am working on). I do not want to make excuses anymore but I honestly have No idea where to start. I want to be sober but want a social life too and feel like they are two separate ways in the fork in the road. New Years is coming up and I want to remain sober. This is my first goal. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by Traveller09; 12-29-2014 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Wanted to add something
Old 12-29-2014, 12:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well I can relate to that, as a lot of the culture here I am from revolves around alcohol. But if your priority is to be sober, work on that first? And the rest should fall in to place… You are young yet.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to change my life completely.

I'm not sorry I did tho - getting sober was the best thing I ever did. I love my life I still have fun, and I have real friends now, not just drinking buddies.

I really hope you decide to give it a go Traveller - welcome to SR

D
Old 12-29-2014, 02:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know what you are saying. Business trips, work parties, social gatherings, new years, superbowl..I get it

I realized the only pressure was me. I got over it. The only person worried about my drinking was me. Sure there were some heavy pushers but after awhile they give it up. Im much happier now
Old 12-29-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I woke up one day said enough is enough i was trying for 3 months then it just happened

i put in quite a bit of work and very glad i did

Welcome to SR
Old 12-29-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Traveler, your life and your choices are yours.

There are actually plenty of people who don't drink at all, we tend to forget that when we drink heavily ourselves.

Since I stopped drinking, I did feel pressured at first by others who asked me why I wasn't drinking, but I got used to it and so did they.

Like OklaBH said, eventually people accept your decisions.

Think you'd be able to work on your social anxiety easier if you were sober - booze affects us more severely than we realise -nervous system, brain function, etc.

I hope you give it a go.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Originally Posted by Traveller09 View Post
I want to be sober but want a social life too and feel like they are two separate ways in the fork in the road.
You say being sober and having a social life is incompatible...here's what you drinking is causing:

I have ended up in jail, I lost my fiancé, I was kicked out of school for the career of my choice...I blacked out multiple times, acted in ways I regret and don't even remember.

What's "social" about that? I think the saner course might be to quit drinking and work on developing a sober social sphere rather than continue drinking and convincing yourself you can't be social without alcohol.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
You will find that as you get stronger and feel better you will make new friends and do things that you never dreamed possible with your drinking buddies. Keep the faith.
Plus, you will sort out who are the real friends and who are justifying their drinking lifestyle by surrounding themselves with other drinkers instead of being in the real, big world.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would admit most of my relapsing was due to self-imposed social pressure. It never helped my last two bosses liked to do our reviews at a bar. It is very tough to remove oneself from a drinking culture. In some cases it means leaving a company where there is heavy drinking culture. I was driving through a major city in the US yesterday just counting the new gastropubs and wine bars. It seems there was one on every corner. It is a fight in early recovery to go against the cultural grain.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For a while, I had to stay away from social pressures altogether. I worked active recovery and made changes to what social meant for me; turns out there are LOTS of ways to be social without alcohol.

As time went on and I worked my active sobriety and got more comfortable in my own skin as a person who chooses life over drunkenness, I have been able to participate in social settings involving alcohol. Now I just say 'no thanks' and if anyone were to suggest I was more fun when I drank I'd probably just say 'well then I suppose my purpose in life isn't to entertain you' and I'd probably not spend a lot of time with that person going forward.

I have so much more to live for.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Traveller09 View Post
People say "just stop" but get irritated if you're the only one not drinking when they invite you out or when it's convenient for them. People then say "you're more fun when you drink".
Find new people. They exist, but they are unlikely to come introduce themselves to someone who is blackout drunk and acting in regrettable ways.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How did I stop with the social pressures? I stopped putting myself in a position where they were present. It's hard to grasp at first: saying "no thanks" when you are invited out with your friends seems impossible. I know this. I often tell the story of how I went to a bar for lunch the first day after I got out of rehab....I simply didn't know how to exist without being surrounded by alcohol.

Like others here, I had to completely change my life. It started with the small steps of staying sober each day, and saying "no thanks" to the bars and parties. Just don't go. You'll survive. It will be weird at first but in my experience it opened up a whole new world. Give it a shot! Good luck!
Old 12-29-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

you want to remain sober this new years eve and its your first one ?

my advice would be not to go to any new years partys or go anywhere near booze, have a nice night in, as not everyone in the world is out there getting drunk and making fools of themselves this year
infact i was amazed to know just how many people dont party at new years and they dont have drink problems

i thought everyone in the world drank like me at new years and it wasnt normal not to

how wrong i was

this new years i will be at an aa meeting then home with my kids my kids will have a drink but i will have a cup of tea to toast in the new years with them.

raises his tea cup and says cheers to everyone : )
Old 12-29-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Like Dee said, I had to completely change my life. I very rarely spend time at bars or clubs or at gatherings where people are drinking, and I am in my late 20's. Even though I know damn well how destructive alcohol is, I don't even want to mess around with temptation.

Sometimes I feel like I am "missing out", but the social consequences (to say nothing of the physical, mental, professional and financial consequences) of me drinking far outweigh any benefits. You have to be real with yourself and make the decision that is best for you.

As for New Years, it's just another day that people use as an excuse to drink, in my opinion.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desypete View Post
you want to remain sober this new years eve and its your first one ?

my advice would be not to go to any new years partys or go anywhere near booze, have a nice night in, as not everyone in the world is out there getting drunk and making fools of themselves this year
infact i was amazed to know just how many people dont party at new years and they dont have drink problems

i thought everyone in the world drank like me at new years and it wasnt normal not to

how wrong i was

this new years i will be at an aa meeting then home with my kids my kids will have a drink but i will have a cup of tea to toast in the new years with them.

raises his tea cup and says cheers to everyone : )
this is such good input!!

WOW... it turns out the whole world doesn't 'celebrate' the turning of a new year by dumping poison down their gullets!! WEIRD, right??

Try an aa meeting for New Years. Or... if you're not ready for that, do you use facebook? Here's an idea; create a facebook event for a Sober New Year's Eve run, hike, stargazing, storytelling, whatever...... and invite all your friends. You never know who amongst your community of friends may also be sick and tired of it. I've found since choosing sobriety that several of my drinking friends wish they weren't.... and that among my existing friends there were already lots of people who really don't drink much and who go (SHOCKING!!!) do things without drinking!!! SO STRANGE!!!