Introducing myself. Hello!

Old 12-28-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introducing myself. Hello!

Hi all!

Drinking is a problem for me and I'm once again trying to stop... there have been so many times! I've been to AA and Women for Sobriety and counselling... but I'm not big on talking in groups and aside from drinking too much I don't feel like I have a lot of other problems in my life that a group of strangers could help me with. I'm also very non religion so I just couldn't bring myself to embrace the program.

Today I found the AVRT site thanks to SR and I believe it may be right for me. I will never drink again and I will never change my mind! It just feels so good to say it and write and think it!! There was a time in my life before alcohol really had it's claws in me that I was into meditation and Buddhism and it has such a similarity to mindfulness. Just being present in all your thoughts and actions instead of going through life on cruise control. It really is and can be that basic and simple to just not pick up again. I love the personal responsibility about it. No higher power, no whining about how hard your life is, no writing a list about what a jerk you are and sharing. Don't get me wrong... if AA works for a person then I'm all for it. It does a lot of good for a lot of people. But it didn't work for me.

The truth is that I like to get drunk, not have one or two but drink until I'm drunk no matter what the consequences are and I'm hurting myself and the people I love by doing it. It's my AV that tells me to do it again and again and again even after I've embarrassed myself or made myself ill or said and done nasty things that I would never do or say sober. And it's because I like to get drunk. And that is very selfish and immature. I'm getting too old for this ****! I want a better life.

So I'd like to join you all here in your discussions and our paths towards sobriety. Thanks for reading.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

Welcome aboard! Onward!
Old 12-28-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

When I used AVRT, I discovered I was re-introducing myself to myself. That is, since I had changed my mind about ever swallowing that stuff again, my new abstinence allowed me to recognize and re-become who I had been before the chemical dependency impacted my life. My life also became wide open to do and become what I wanted.

I USED TO love getting drunk. I can't have it both ways. I recognized that desire still within me that wants that feeling again, BUT, IT is not ME anymore since I made my Big Plan to never drink again. IT is the BEAST and IT's ADDICTIVE VOICE. I do not want to get drunk. IT wants me to get drunk.

As you learn about AVRT. The straightforward "dissociative technique" will help streamline your thinking as become yourself again.

It might be useful for you to get a copy of Rational Recovery, The New Cure, or The Art of AVRT, both by Jack Trimpey.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome, zenchaser. That was a heckuv an introduction, please make yourself right at home. There is a lot of AVRT information right here in these pages, and the AVRT Discussion thread might be the best online source of information about AVRT and Rational Recovery outside of the RR website.

You will find a lot of support here for you, and lots of like minded souls. Hope you keep posting!
Old 12-28-2014, 11:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome zenchaser !
Old 12-29-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Zenchaser. Your self-intro could have been written for me and many others on "Secular Connections". You will like it here, keep coming back.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all! This is going to be the time it sticks. I had a few friends who I normally drink with try to get in touch with me yesterday but I just let the phone ring. I have no interest. I don't want that life anymore. I just keep telling myself that I'm done with it. I will never drink again and I will never change my mind. I can't stop saying it! It's so empowering! I will make new friends with time as I create a better life for myself.

GerandTwine I will pick up those books you recommended. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Welcome, zenchaser! It is truly a great feeling to set yourself free. Enjoy watching your AV slowly whither and die.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am part of the Shambhala Tibetan Buddhism community. I see that you're in Toronto, so I found a link for you. It's changed my life. We have a meeting called "The Heart of Recovery", which is not 12-step based but for anyone suffering from addiction.

http://toronto.shambhala.org/

Meditation has changed my life. I've never been religious either, and working from the inside out is the way I've found sobriety and peace.

Good luck, and welcome! xoxo
Old 12-30-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for that! I was thinking of joining something exactly like this. I've been being more mindful and making sure I care for my body, getting exercise, eating well, having naps if I'm tired, speaking with care. I would love to get back into meditating. Perhaps I will see you there some day soon. Much appreciated readerbaby71
Old 12-30-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome zenchaser, the first I said it I felt the same way.
I will never drink again and I will never change my mind. Feels good eh?
Old 12-30-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! I think you will love it here!
Old 12-31-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey! Guys from PA aren't allowed to say "eh!" That is strictly a Canadian thing!!

I wanted to pop in and wish one and all a most peaceful new year- most especially those who post frequently. The thousands of us lurkers read every word- and man do they help get us through the rough spots.
All the best to y'all, eh!
Old 01-03-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I got to tell a friend last night about AVRT. Last weekend when the phone calls to go out started coming in I just ignored everyone but this week I want the people in my life to know about my BP. A few minutes after I texted him that I'd quit he responded that he's proud of me and would like to do the same sometime soon so I let him know how I'm doing it. I know I planted a little seed in his brain that will grow. He's a highly intelligent guy who has told me before he feels like he has a drinking problem too. I think it could work for him too when he's ready to make that decision for himself
Old 01-09-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the intro to AVRT. Had not encountered it before.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

If you haven't found this thread yet, Behan, it's a good one!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html
Old 01-10-2015, 03:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The words of ZenChaser and DonnieB could be mine.
I'm a lurker and a bit of a poster recently, I'm here while I'm struggling with my AV (forgot that's what it was til I came here again!) and needed like-minded folk to connect with on my wavelength
Thanks to all and keep enjoying your freedom

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself