Notices

Nervous but I went to AA

Old 12-28-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nervous but I went to AA

I am sober and I finally found a little courage to go back to AA today after a 4-year relapse. SR helped me work up to it.

Should I immediately try to find a temporary sponsor? There were couple of people at the meeting that were friendly, but I was so nervous I couldn't figure out what to do except to announce that I was back. I got a chip and a list of meetings.

When I was in AA before, I had a sponsor that actually scared me and was always wanting to borrow money.

I need advice on how to choose one.
Thank you!
Old 12-28-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your former sponsor was a jerk, for borrowing money from you. You are not their bank.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I don't know if I would even use the word sponsor these days. It seems to have so many connotations that have nothing to do with the AA program.

The AA path to recovery is simple. It involves learning and applying the principles of the steps in our daily lives, then going on to help others do the same.

In your situation I might look around for someone who appears to have recovered and whose style of sobriety is attractive. Then I would ask them if they would please help me to take the steps. That would involve helping me with each step, especially the fourth, leaving me free to choose who will hear my fifth, case by case guidance on steps 8 and 9, and to lead me by example through steps 11 and 12, ultimately leaving me in a position of dependence on the God of my understanding and not dependent on people, especially sponsors.

It almost goes without saying that the person you choose must must have taken the steps themselves and be living the AA way of life.

Warning bells are phrases like your not ready, you have to be sober x time to do that, you shouldn't be working with others yet etc. none of that appears on the Big Book. Check everything your sponsor tells you against what the book says. Then you will know if you are getting AA or some alternative ideas.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job on pushing through and going!!
Old 12-28-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great job Beach get to know someone first see what thier about if thier sobriety is strong and they are availible

just ask

well done bud
Old 12-28-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Well done for going, Beach
Old 12-28-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ok. I will take this advice and keep going and report back.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Beach thats it you done well friend
Old 12-28-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

B-20, way to go !!! I too recently walked back into an AA meeting after a 9 year unsuccessful stint at controlled drinking. Luckily the guy handing out chips at that 1st meeting pretty much told me he'd at least be a temp sponsor - which I was grateful for. I am about to switch to a different sponsor soon though. You might consider asking your next AA meetings leader to ask during the meeting for qualified men (a sufficient period of sobriety, have worked steps, are not destitute, etc. etc.) to raise their hands that are available to sponsor new comers. Glad we're both back in this - a second chance to get & stay sober is the greatest xmas present on the planet in my book !!! Peace-out, MJM
Old 12-28-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you! Way to go to you too. I like your suggestions but I better ask for a girl since I am a female who loves the beach!!!!!! I did get a chip from a guy though!
Let's do this....I am glad we are back in it too! P.S. I spent most of my adult life in Texas...love it!