Notices

looking for ... I guess someone who understands

Old 12-27-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

looking for ... I guess someone who understands

It makes me cry to type those words above, though I'm really pretty much OK. You know. That's relative, right? I just wish someone could tell me how to "fix" my son, but of course I (think I know) I cannot. I just wish I knew what to do in our own situation here, and though I know you can't tell me maybe I'll take some hope and encouragement just being with others who understand. I do pray, and I do put my trust in God's promises. Still, it's not easy. "Thank you" to whoever started this site.

I do love to laugh, and I grab hold of reasons to. You might notice that I'm not right at this moment, but I will again.

Last edited by LovesToLaugh; 12-27-2014 at 02:45 PM. Reason: adding to...
Old 12-27-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What's going on? Is your son an addict?

Welcome to the site, sorry you're having some difficulties right now.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, he is. We found out 2, or is it 3 years ago? There were obvious signs long enough before I found needles that it's sort of turned time into a blur. I found more today. He's young, and because of legal entanglements he still lives here with us. There have been more volatile times, but I would say there has not been "cleanness" for a long time. He has been accepted into a couple of residential programs at different times, but at the last minute refused to go. So, I watch him sleep.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome LovesToLaugh - I'm sorry for the pain you're in.

There are many here who will relate and understand what you're going through. We have a Friends & Family forum too. You might want to have a look. Meanwhile, I'm so glad you posted on Newcomer's and reached out for some help. This is a friendly and supportive place - I think it will help your anxiety to know other's care.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

double post
Old 12-27-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.

You can't always watch him sleep tho. You need to sleep yourself. What kind of support do you have in dealing with him? Support is crucial.

We also have a 'friends and family of substance abusers' forum here.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR youl find a ton of support here
Old 12-27-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh, I see.

Here is the Friends & Family of Substance Abusers forum.

When you click this link, at the top of the page will be a lot of topics/threads that start with "Sticky" - those will help you a lot.
Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Feel free to post as much as you need to wherever you would like, there is a lot of understanding here on this website. Lots of parents who have been where you are.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Least, what I meant is that sleep is what he does. I sleep well at night. I have a wonderful husband who loves me well, and I'm so thankful for him. My son mostly sleeps when he's at home. That's what I meant to say.

We were seeing a family counselor for a while, but he moved on to another practice. He was the equivalent, I guess, of a "resident". That means, free. He was very nice, asked the right questions, and listened well. He was incredibly easy to open up to. He also has been there in addiction so he was easy to receive from. We are friends with other couples who also have children in addiction. We frequently pick each other up off the ground, but I hate to unload on them too much. I really don't want our friendships to be about trouble and addiction. So, I came looking for you all here.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

how old is he?
Old 12-27-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

21. I hate saying too much that's personal that may identify him... not that he's the only 21 one year old doing this stuff. I just don't trust the internet. Am I being weird?
Old 12-27-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by LovesToLaugh View Post
21. I hate saying too much that's personal that may identify him... not that he's the only 21 one year old doing this stuff. I just don't trust the internet. Am I being weird?
Not much to identify him LTL, so feel free to open up. We don't know your country, far less your city, or name These forums as completely anonymous.

The F&F of Substance Abusers Forum will put you in touch with people who know exactly what you're going through. Why not post there with some more of your story?
Old 12-27-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LovesToLaugh View Post
I just wish someone could tell me how to "fix" my son, .
Is your son living at home? If you are giving him a roof over his head, while he is actively in addiction and not supporting himself...then you might just have to put your trust in him and the universe to find his own way to fix himself.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Feeling Great, I can't find that forum. I'm finding my through here for the first time tonight. Can you point me to it? Thanks.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No pity. No remorse. No fear

LTL, welcome. Scroll up a little and Biminiblue has actually posted a link to the forum. Just click on that.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No pity. No remorse. No fear

Double post.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes, I found it again. Thank you.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Heartbreaking stuff... My thoughts are with you, LovesToLaugh, and prayers for your son to come to his senses sooner than later.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR LTT

This is a safe anonymous site - the only information you need to share is whatever you're comfortable with

I know you'll find support, both in this forum and our FandF forums

D
Old 12-27-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sorry, wasn't looking for identification information, just wondering age because my 22 year old daughter just ran away (took flight out of town), and am highly suspicious she restarting an iv meth habit I thought she had left behind 2 years ago.