The Language of Letting Go, Dec. 26

Old 12-25-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Language of Letting Go, Dec. 26

DECEMBER 26

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go."

Growth

Just as when we were children and grew out of favorite toys and clothes, we sometimes grow out of things as adults--people, jobs, and homes. This can be confusing. We may wonder why someone or something that was so special and important to us last year doesn't fit the same way in our life today. We may wonder why our feelings have changed.

When we were children, we may have tried to fit an outgrown article of clothing on to our body. Now, as adults, we may go through a time of trying to force fit attitudes that we have outgrown. We may need to do this to give ourselves time to realize the truth. What worked last year, what was so important and special to us in times past, doesn't work anymore because we've changed. We've grown.

We can accept this as a valid and important part of recovery. We can let ourselves go through experimentation and grief as we struggle to make something fit, trying to figure out if indeed it no longer fits, and why. We can explore our feelings and thoughts around what has happened.

Then, we can put last year's toys away and make room for the new.

Today, I will let last year's toys be what they were: last year's toys. I will remember them with fondness for the part they played in my life. Then, I will put them away and make room for the new.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.