Christmas...an excuse to get plastered :(

Old 12-25-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Christmas...an excuse to get plastered :(

First off, Merry Christmas to everyone. I actually had a pretty good day with my family today until tonight. Even though AH drank an entire case of beer today, but I didn't even know about that until later, when he asked to go to the station and came out with a 40 To top it off, he fell asleep in his chair, and left the cap off the bottle. Next thing I know, our 18 month old is tipping it back! I yelled for him to wake up and get it from her, but I don't like to fight in front of her, so I am going to seriously address this after she goes down for the night. It just is so frustrating that he uses family functions as an excuse to get so drunk he can barely walk. I know it's the disease, but I just wish he would understand how important these moments are! I don't usually say much about his drinking, because he works 60 hours/week and provides for our family, but it is really starting to affect our little girl. When she sees a beer can or bottle she says 'dada' and she is now trying to drink it probably to be like daddy.

Sorry for the vent, not really looking for too much advice, just needed to get that off my chest. I'm sure there's a lot of people who probably deal with the same situations.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

After she goes down for the night, he will still have consumed over a case of beer. Not much point trying to have a discussion with a drunk person. Maybe wait until tomorrow when he's sober and you aren't feeling so overwrought.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I agree with ladyscribbler. No point in trying to talk to him tonight. Save it for when he is sober. Of course, he'll probably not have any idea what you are talking about. Such is life with an alcoholic.

I'm sorry you are going through this. (((HUGS)))
Old 12-25-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks. You all are totally right. He's acting all lovey, and keeps apologizing. I know he didn't leave his beer there on purpose, just peeves me :/
Old 12-25-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by Mimi9013 View Post
Thanks. You all are totally right. He's acting all lovey, and keeps apologizing. I know he didn't leave his beer there on purpose, just peeves me :/
You're right to be concerned. Alcohol is seriously harmful to children with their brains just developing, and if it was spirits it could kill them. You wouldn't leave a bottle of poison sitting on the ground open with a toddler around.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm going to speak with him when he gets off work this afternoon(short work day), because if I could even consume that much beer and still be alive, I know I would still be drunk this morning. I drive him to work, so no worries of drunk driving.

I am starting to think his disease is progressing though, because I haven't seen him drink that much in a few years, and the last time it was vodka and he could hardly walk He's also been hiding that he's in some sort of pain, but won't go to the doctor. That's how I know he's an alcoholic, because he doesn't think about how his actions affect his family. If he doesn't take care of himself and dies, it doesn't click that that's bad for us. He can't care about us enough to take care of himself while he's still drinking...sad realization of the moment