Notices

A Christmas Carol

Old 12-25-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Christmas Carol

A Christmas Carol, 1 life, 3 ghosts, what would they say? Charles Dickens was definitely on to something when he wrote the book, that would be made into countless films.

My past is a blur at this time of year, if I went back over the many Xmas mornings I woke up hungover, drinking the night before, anxious not to throw up Xmas morning as I would go round what felt like an endless list of relatives, exchanging gifts as they would offer me yet more alcohol in the lead up to Xmas dinner, descending into a haze which ended with collapsing into bed blacked out, only to get up and repeat the cycle yet again for a few more days before returning to work.

My present now looks a whole lot different, this morning I woke up clear headed, I now even drive around to my relatives houses, and as I pass up the drinks being offered at every doorstep, I actually enjoy spending time with all those people I never see that much during the year, exchanging gifts, learning about my family, spending time with those that are connected to me by blood, it’s an inspirational experience listening to the stories, enjoying the laughter, the connection that I think I had been missing out on for so long. It was then back to my place, TV on, some good food, plenty of green tea and relaxation, how Xmas should be, without the stress and anxiety that alcohol used to bring.

My future, the ghost had I not have changed my ways would have brought a message of tragedy, a life not lived to my potential, maybe even cut short, family members disappointed and grieving over a life taken away by alcohol. But now there is a lot more hope, a lot more potential, no longer are the chains holding me back, I can be me, who I was supposed to be before alcohol became my sole obsession and focus in life.

Just like in the story, the purpose of the journey was to show Ebenezer Scrooge where he would end up by continuing on his current path, and as alcoholics I think we already know, there was always something in the back of my mind that was a flashing red light saying this won’t end well.

I’m wrapping up my Xmas for another year, almost ready for bed, the beauty of SR is we are spread across many timezones, some may be still having their turkey, some are ready for bed, some are already well into their 26th December, some had a successful Sober Xmas, others may have slipped, and some may be darkening SR’s doors for the first time, looking for support, looking for answers, seeking a friendly face and the hand of a stranger to help them up.

The past and the present are done and dusted, but the future is still to be written, we all have the pen in our hands and have a blank page in front of us, we get to write the next chapter, our next decision, our next step in this journey of life!!

Merry Xmas everyone and Happy Holidays!!

PK
Old 12-25-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Exellent post PK

Merry christmas and all the best for 2015
Old 12-25-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 12-25-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 12-25-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post! That's a great story and you personalized it perfectly.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post! That's an awesome story and you personalized it perfectly.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Beautifully said. Thank you, PK! Merry Christmas, SR friends!
Old 12-25-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you PK - my experience was very much like yours - the foggy, blurry Christmases past. It's such a blessing to be out of that trap.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Yes indeed, PK, great post.

Glad you had a such a wonderful Christmas.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you had a nice Christmas, best wishes to you!