Notices

Needing support

Old 12-24-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Needing support

Sorry I haven't been here in a long while, I am going through some rough waters. Not with my sobriety but health issues my husband is dealing with. He has lung cancer and they aren't sure what stage its in yet.

He starts treatment the 6th of Jan, but he and I really dont talk about how its affecting us. I have not be able to find any support yet but with a few close friends that know.

I feel so helpless not being able to fix it, being a cancer thats what's in my nature. Funny how I am a cancer ( birthsign) and having to deal with it.

I'm alone and scared and don't know where to turn.

I felt like I needed to reach out to someone, so here I am.

Some say I am going thru the stages of grief, well if i am its sadness and anger that I'm teetering between right now.

If it helps you understand who he is hes a Navy Vet, who believes he needs to deal with this alone. I get so angry at him, or the cancer to the point I am wanting to pull my hair out.

I am writing a story that is helping me process what I am feeling as we go thru this, its a three part story with each story a different thing a character needs to overcome, learning to walk again after an accident. Alcoholism and cancer which is my story.

The serenity prayer is the one prayer I have turned to when no other words will come. I seem to say this prayer often.

If you pray please lift him up so he can find strength and comfort during this time.

Thank you
Learachel
Old 12-24-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sending you prayers and positive thoughts.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back LeaRachel. Best wishes to you and your husband in this difficult time.

Maybe showing him your post is a good way to get him to understand how much this affects you too?

D
Old 12-24-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your both in my prayers.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep using the serenity prayer. It is the only thing that keeps me sane some days.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lifting up prayers for both of you. I agree with Dee, maybe show him this post? It may be natural for HIM to face this head on, but that doesn't mean you don't need more support.

Love, hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-24-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

LeaRachel, I am so sorry for you and your husband I know how scared you must be right now, particularly waiting for staging and treatment options.

Cancer survivor here (also a cancer sign as well!) - stage 3 lymphoma. 4 1/2 years in remission now They have come so far with treatments, they really have. But still nothing is scarier than the "C" word, I know.

I just want to offer you a perspective from your husband's side, perhaps. For me, it was actually tougher to see how it affected those around me. As you said there is nothing you can do, and there is nothing he can do at the moment either. I actually felt guilty in a way - not quite the right word - I felt so badly for how upset everyone was and there wasn't much I could do about that. My parents were actually away on vacation when I was diagnosed and I had to tell them over the phone, it was awful. I'm sure there is a lot going on in his mind now - it really brings you face to face with your own mortality. Give him a little time to digest it and hopefully he will open up a bit with you.

Just want to send you a big hug. I know how bad you are hurting right now, I really do. I think talking here and getting your feelings out will be so helpful. Call a friend and have a good cry. I really hope he gets the best news possible
Old 12-24-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, Lea. Sometimes guys don't see the need to talk, I think. And, maybe he just needs some time to let this all sink in before he can say anything. We can listen to whatever you need to say.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hugs and prayers to you and for your husband.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

Prayers to you and him. I totally understand, my sister had lung cancer at 44 and the diagnosis alone is staggering and sobering (no pun intended). Do you have any support for you to help you learn how to deal with it? The cancer center she went to had support groups for families and patients and it was helpful.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sending u prayers tonite.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

LeaRachel, you and your husband will be in my prayers. Keep reaching out and finding a group specifically for the cancer diagnosis . Of course SR has your back, but the exta support should be helpful. God bless u and your husband.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

You've been missed in chat.

Sending you love and hugs
Old 12-24-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lea Rachel the best writer I know! Merry Christmas to you my friend. Life serves us the most difficult situations. We cry us, and wonder what the purpose, but over time you've show me that purpose and been such a dear friend when I've hit the bottom time and time again.

Stay encouraging, stay stong like I know you, you've overcome so much friend. I know you can do this and will do this. One more struggle, one more thing to overcome and succeed at in life

I wish him and you all the best. You hang in there girl! I know you can do this my dear friend, you are filled with so much faith and hope.

Stay strong my friend Jeremy
Old 12-24-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I wish you and your husband the absolute best! We are always here for you.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Lea im with D and the others show him the post

Im so so sorry this is happening and i know the strain of this

if you ever want to talk or anything send a pm
Old 12-25-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thinking of you and your husband, LeaRachel, as you're going through this difficult time.xx
Old 12-25-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

LeaRachel I hope that you feel supported by all of us here at SR and I hope you and your husband enjoy Christmas Day together.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

((LeaRachel)) Sending prayers for healing and strength during this most difficult time.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)