Notices

Glad to be an Alcoholic!

Old 12-24-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Glad to be an Alcoholic!

Hello everyone! I am not a newcomer to the AA way, but I am a newcomer to this website and the Internet method of 'meetings and fellowship'. I thought I would give it a try!
I heard "glad to be and alcoholic" quite a few times in the beginning of my AA journey, and it would stir my emotions and make me wonder. Now, after many meetings and honestly working on and living the steps, it has made me realize that my alcoholism is truly a gift, as is the means to arrest it's progression is also a gift. How I use these gifts is my choice, and when I choose to place it in my Creator's hands, my life is transformed. If I didn't have this disease, I may never found out what my real purpose in life is, nor would I have known that Power that is there to help me, (and all of us!) to learn, to grow, to share, and to love. It is a wonderful blessing to be on this journey. I am grateful. You told me that "It's a simple program". How true! It is not easy, though. In fact, it is a lot of work! However, it is worth every minute I give to the task, and the rewards are awesome. In fellowship, Rachet. :-)
Old 12-24-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Ratchet, to SR. Glad you found us.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Rachet!!
Old 12-24-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by Rachet View Post
Hello everyone! I am not a newcomer to the AA way, but I am a newcomer to this website and the Internet method of 'meetings and fellowship'. I thought I would give it a try!
I heard "glad to be and alcoholic" quite a few times in the beginning of my AA journey, and it would stir my emotions and make me wonder. Now, after many meetings and honestly working on and living the steps, it has made me realize that my alcoholism is truly a gift, as is the means to arrest it's progression is also a gift. How I use these gifts is my choice, and when I choose to place it in my Creator's hands, my life is transformed. If I didn't have this disease, I may never found out what my real purpose in life is, nor would I have known that Power that is there to help me, (and all of us!) to learn, to grow, to share, and to love. It is a wonderful blessing to be on this journey. I am grateful. You told me that "It's a simple program". How true! It is not easy, though. In fact, it is a lot of work! However, it is worth every minute I give to the task, and the rewards are awesome. In fellowship, Rachet. :-)
Hello!

I too feel like this, changed my life! I actually feel sorry for those who don't appreciate what they have! I love life!
Old 12-24-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, a good dose of positive feedback. I do love life now, I can look in the mirror again. I can DO this!!
Old 12-24-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not one person on God's green Earth should be glad to be an alcoholic. I get "accepting" it but "GLAD" ? No chance.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm also in AA for the first time and I'm amazed with what working the program actually is. It's so much more than just being sober. The spiritual connection is a remarkable aspect I never would have known about if I weren't an alky. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovered

Alcoholism is the best thing that's ever happened to me. Because from it I found redemption and a life that is indescribable.

Welcome to SR, Rachet!
Old 12-24-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Rachet

Maybe I'm just a pedant....but to be honest, I still can't be grateful for my alcoholism.

I am eternally grateful for my recovery though

D
Old 12-24-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Without alcoholism, "redemption" would never had been needed in the first place. If we weren't alcoholics, that "great life" would have been discovered decades before years of relapses, misery, financial ruin, DUI's, embarrassment, bad behavior, etc.

I agree with Dee 100% - I love my recovery, SR, and everything that comes with living the right way but to be honest, alcoholism / being an alcoholic is horrific, destroys and kills people and families, etc. For me, saying I'm glad Im an alcoholic would be a slap in the face to the people (and myself) I've hurt a long the way.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Werlcome to SR
Old 12-25-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovered

Everyone will have his take on it. I value ALL my past experiences, not just the bad ones. It makes me uniquely qualified to be of service. And OH YES, I would have needed redemption regardless. Of course, each can argue what 'redemption' means to them.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I never aspired to be an alcoholic but accept it now and with the programs help I’m glad I found the program and work it.
When I came around there were few choices to sober up as the internet was an unknown and basically AA was the only show in town and most rehabs based their program on AA.
I personally feel that the program can be used to benefit much of the public.

BE WELL
Old 12-26-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you soberwolf for your pictoral 'depiction. To Dee74 and W4Wizard, just saying; 'Glad to be an alcoholic' has nothing to do with 'being active'. It is a lifelong disease, something we must deal with always. We have a 'daily reprieve' in our sobriety, something we can be proud of, if we are able to skip self -centeredness. Like mfanch, I value all my past, (and present experiences). Once I can get past the active stage, the 'fact of my disease' becomes something I can get my head around and deal with and accept wholeheartedly. It's there, I choose to use it how I can. I celebrate my disease and my recovery. It is worth it!!!
Old 12-26-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, the fact that I'm an addict does keep me humble. No question about it. I revel in my humanness
Old 12-26-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I get what you're saying I think. Do you mean without alcoholism you wouldn't have had the opportunity to look deeper within yourself and feel how amazing it is to transform your life for the better? Also grateful for all the wonderful people who have come into your life?
I'm not quite there, but this is how I imagine I'll feel about long term sobriety.
I might be wrong about what you're saying, but this is how I took it, xoxo
I'm very happy to read your positive post too, thanks for sharing
Old 12-26-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

A guy at one of my meetings says every time "and Im so glad Im an alcoholic" I thought he was being sarcastic. He says without the disease he would have never found God. That is powerful.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rachet View Post
Thank you soberwolf for your pictoral 'depiction. To Dee74 and W4Wizard, just saying; 'Glad to be an alcoholic' has nothing to do with 'being active'. It is a lifelong disease, something we must deal with always. We have a 'daily reprieve' in our sobriety, something we can be proud of, if we are able to skip self -centeredness. Like mfanch, I value all my past, (and present experiences). Once I can get past the active stage, the 'fact of my disease' becomes something I can get my head around and deal with and accept wholeheartedly. It's there, I choose to use it how I can. I celebrate my disease and my recovery. It is worth it!!!
I accept I'm an alcoholic, for life, and I do get what you mean

Let me add another layer down for you: I have cerebral palsy too, for life - and while I can find value in the ways it's shaped me, I can't honestly be grateful for that either.

With respect I don't think that means I have more work to do...I think it simply means you and I see things from different perspectives

D
Old 12-26-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hold on.....I'm stuck with this forever?
Old 12-27-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
A guy at one of my meetings says every time "and Im so glad Im an alcoholic" I thought he was being sarcastic. He says without the disease he would have never found God. That is powerful.

I don't think I would have turned to God if it wasn't for the desperation of alcoholism. For that, I am grateful.

So you could say I am grateful for being a recovering alcoholic.

Glad, though ? Not at the moment. Time will tell on that one.