Notices

When you stopped drinking how long till you felt better?

Old 12-23-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When you stopped drinking how long till you felt better?

Hi all, 1 month in and im still feeling bit anxious and tired at times and bit groggy still. Bit frustrated. How long did it take for you to be free of the symptoms and feeling good?
Old 12-23-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

At least a month for me, still see some improvements after 5 months. Lots of fatigue at first, especially in the afternoons and wicked bad carbohydrate cravings.

Gradual improvement overall but at least the hangovers stopped right away.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm about to hit 90 days and I think I asked this same question a month ago, lol.
I'm still sleepy in the afternoon but I'm starting to fill my days up with simple activities that keep me motivated. Somewhere in the past three weeks I started feeling better

Jennifer
Old 12-23-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im like 6 days in and I still feel like sh#! Alcohol--> <---me
Old 12-23-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

First three months were tough but the first month by far was the hardest!
Old 12-23-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Three months and you should notice a marked difference.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Work at it a bit. Manipulate your diet to give you energy and sleep if you have to. It took me about a year to feel really enthusiastic about sobriety, so you have to keep faith.

Enjoy your mornings, waking up without guilt and hangovers.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here and posting!

In my case I drank for many, many years. Of course there's a lot of variables - damage takes awhile for the body to recuperate. I started to have some alcohol neuropathy and didn't know what it was till I quit. It went away fairly quickly - less than 60 days.

It took 4-5 months for the fog to lift from my brain. Simple numerical calculations had become baffling. Slowly there was improvement - and then one day it was as if a light switch was flipped back on !!

Eat well fruits/veggies/protein - drink a lot of fluids - take some muti vitamins and get a lot of sleep is what I did.

Again, we aren't each other so that's my experience.

At six months I am starting to feel much better. Make no mistake - and for others considering stopping pay attention please : alcohol is poison 100 different ways to our bodies. It will never fully be the same - who knows what aliments crop up down the road that could have been avoided. Including various cancers linked to alcohol abuse.

Stop NOW!!!

Kind Regards
FlyN
Old 12-23-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You ever read some of the ingredients in beer. Theres a reason they arent listed on the bottle. Its like cigarettes. Tons of chemicals. I read beaver glands in some beer lol. Unless you drink the good stuff.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi there! After a month sober I have noticed subtle differences, nothing major. I feel the major changes our subjective and we all experience them differently. Although that can't be said for physical changes and your body ridding itself of toxins. Mentally I've found myself a little more clear, although still anxious. Hang in there, we'll get through this together!
DB
Old 12-23-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
p***enger

It seems like most people feel the fogginess lift within 3-6 months. If it goes on longer and especially if it seems like it's getting worse not better, there might be underlying issues that the alcohol was masking, and you should talk to your doctor.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

6 months till I felt even remotely human and connected to anyone or thing.

1 year before I could start functioning in the world again, hold down a part time job, communicate with people outside of AA.

2 years to be fully immersed in the "real" living world again.

4 years to start doing things I never dreamed I would.

5 years to feel I had the world by the, uh... you know what's.

10 years to learn I didn't.

And the next 20 years was a series of 4, 5, 10 year experiences .

Thankful that I never had to revisit first getting sober, 1 or 2.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

90 days or so for me. This past month, and I am in month 5 somewhere, I have felt pretty normal, for the most part. Sometimes my emotions are a little wonky, but the groggy, looking at the world from the outside feeling is completely gone, as is all my unexplained anxiety (well, it was alcohol that was the root of that.) No panic attacks, no irrational fears of dying, none of the stuff that used to wake me in the night.

The most amazing change is in my cognition- I was really becoming afraid for myself near the end of my drinking and for the first two months of sobriety, I could barely think clearly or hold information for more than a minute. My memory was shot, my concentration was horrible and it was so scary. I just realized the other day that I no longer consider my cognition an issue, and I had forgotten just how bad it had become.

Thanks for this question. Its good to remember some of these things.
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's been nearly 6 months and i still get tired, cranky occasionally and stuff like that.

It's definitely better than the drinking days, but yeah... Decades of drinking don't heal in weeks.
  # 15 (permalink)  
Stay Strong and Motivated

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Work at it a bit. Manipulate your diet to give you energy and sleep if you have to. It took me about a year to feel really enthusiastic about sobriety, so you have to keep faith.

Enjoy your mornings, waking up without guilt and hangovers.
I've already noticed a difference physically. I still get tired during the day sometimes, but I sleep better than before. When I wake up I feel good and even better after morning coffee. I cut out caffeine after 8pm, which helps me get to sleep. I've been eating regularly as well as better foods, not the junk I ate when drinking/hangover. Lots of water, vitamins, things like that would help I believe. Though I'm no doctor, so it probably depends on the person. I can only imagine what I'll feel like in a few months!! I'm looking forward to it.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

6-8 weeks until I started to feel "normal", in other words until I stopped feeling sick all the time.

I think it all depends on your age and how fast you heal
Old 12-23-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

At 2 or three months I started feeling less anxious. At about 5 or 6 months my sleep pattern leveled out. At 2 years I can finally remember where I put my keys. (sometimes)
Old 12-23-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for your posts all, its easy to feel alone in this and like we are going mad cant see the light at the end of the tunnel etc..... good ti know others have experienced this....

I do think ive been improving since I quit albeit painfully slow. The major hour long panic attacks, have prety much gone, with the occasional 5 min panic burp everynow and then. Ive been listening to holosync meditation which seems to help. Ive had to lwarn how to relax myself again and stop worrying so much, concentrating in things like heart beat, the groggy feeling. I guess I was expecting to be feeling really good a month in (plus cut down for a month before that). Bit frustrated, but glad im sober!!

I guess it takes longer than a few weeks to heal. I think I was a bit fooled by the whole 1 to 2 weeks to be through the physical withdrawel thing.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Mentally much better after 5 weeks but strong sugar cravings most days and sleep patterns all over the place.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
levonhelmrules

Hello again MrJustin,

I am going thru the exact same scenario as you. Pm me anytime and we can go over it in more detail.

I too was under the impression that withdrawl symptoms would go quick. When they didn't I convinced myself I had all sorts of death sentence ailments, and luckily a bunch of google searches led me here.

Today I worked out pretty hard and the soreness gave me mild anxiety today. But it is definitely improving.

Also, thanks for the tip on the meditation music. I found it calming as well. I really appreciate that.

Stay strong.