Notices

Holiday Triggers

Old 12-23-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holiday Triggers

Holidays have always been a big drinking time for me . . . work slowing down, parties, socially accepted. Whatever the case, every year I have drank myself sick. Last year was the peak. I drank myself right into detox. That was the last time I touched alcohol. I worked my ass off last year to stay sober, to turn myself inside out and figure out what made my demon tick. This holiday season I feel so different. As I said, it is my first sober holiday season. Second, from my current vantage point, I can see how low I was - how sick I was. I can feel the feelings I felt in the past that led me to drink (identified above), but I feel no compulsion to drink. This holiday season is about my family. They deserve a beautiful holiday season with a present and peaceful husband/father.

Last year at this time I was so drunk and hungover and hopeless. I thought I was a lost cause. I didn't think I would ever be healthy again. We can do it. We have to start with being honest with ourselves. It's not an easy thing to do, but we need to take inventory and then take small steps forward. Those small steps add up.

I will celebrate 1-year sober on January 1. I never thought that would happen. Looking back at the past year, I have accomplished so many things I would have never done while actively drinking. I used to think I was so unique, but I realized I was a garden-variety alcoholic, so if I can do this anyone can.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Exellent post Ethos
Old 12-23-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's fantastic! I had my worst Christmas ever last year but continued drinking until May. Good for you for having the guts to tackle it right away.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's a fantastic achievement
Old 12-23-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you!!!

Old 12-23-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome. Holidays are definitely tough. I went to a holiday work party where several people got quite drunk on egg nog and various other drinks. They had a white elephant exchange where MANY of the gifts were expensive hard liquor bottles (and the ones that got fought over the most). Felt some triggers for sure - but, I have been able to leave situations when I think the risk has gotten too great. It was rough, but I made it. Didn't have to leave and enjoyed the party.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fantastic post, Ethos. Congratulations on your upcoming one year anniversary of sobriety.

Really great to hear that you are finding sobriety so rewarding!
Old 12-23-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

and dont forget....you deserve it to

Congrats on a year. Enjoy your holiday with your family !
Old 12-23-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Posts like this make me so glad I've logged on to SR.

Congratulations - and many more happy new years!

Earlyriser
Old 12-23-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was horrible last X-Mas... Got so wasted and was such an a$$... I was so hungover I wanted to die...

Thanks for this post and congrats on your year. Being a present sober father is the best gift you are giving your family.