Notices

Help !

Old 12-22-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help !

Every time I put together a week of sobriety, I end up relapsing thinking I'm ok now and then I realize I can't handle my drinking again. Have any of you ever felt like you've hit rock bottom ? That's currently where I'm at. I went to the bar last night and don't remember the end of the night. I'm missing my ID, credit card, and car keys (wasn't driving but had them with me). I just feel like I have absolutely nothing going right now and don't kno where to start or go. Sorry, guess I just felt the need to get this stuff off my chest, but i'm really lost right now.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I've been worse. Don't get too down. Stop drinking. Move foreward.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

I've definitely felt like that SHH.

I think most of us reach a point where we realise it's time to react differently when you have the 'I'm ok now' thoughts.

We're ok in lots of awesome ways, but we;re not ok to drink...not if we want to the be who we want to be.

I think it's a good idea to start working up a plan for what you can do when those thoughts happen again?

D
Old 12-22-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not to minimize the health issues, but make sure you cancel all of your credit/debit cards. ID's in the wrong hands can be a very dangerous situation so if you don't find them quickly I would also strongly suggest you open an account with Experian or any of the other big credit monitoring companies. The big three are also part of a joint program called something like Triple Advantage.

Too many day ones here so I'm not in a position to offer advice, but please stay safe tonight and if it means not going out then do so. Okay, I did just offer some advice.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have been there before, many times. I thought I would be "OK" or that I was cured and would be able to drink again moderately. I tried every moderation plan there was, and even invented some of my own. Every single time it failed though, and sometimes in spectacular fashion. I finally realized that the problem wasn't that I couldn't find the right way to moderate - it was that I hadn't fully accepted that I am an alcoholic. This means accepting that I will never, ever be able to moderate my drinking...so the only solution is to just never pick up the first one.

Rock bottom is really kind of a relative term, because no matter how low you go, you can always go lower - until you die of course ( which does happen ).

What exactly do you do to keep working on your sobriety in between your periods of drinking and abstinence?
Old 12-22-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I kno I need to stop, drinking isn't crossing my mind right now. I'm just laying in bed thinking about what an idiot I am and feeling like crap. So many negative thoughts crossing my mind and the feeling of why am I even here right now ? What's my purpose if I can't do anything right ?
Old 12-22-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Glad you're here SSH!

Yes, I hit bottom a little over two weeks ago.
The first thing I did was stop drinking. It's the only way I could start digging my way out of the mess I had made of my life.
I know the feeling of being lost, but I also know that continuing to drink just reenforces that feeling.
I really hope you decide to put down the bottle for good and reclaim your life.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I have been there before, many times. I thought I would be "OK" or that I was cured and would be able to drink again moderately. I tried every moderation plan there was, and even invented some of my own. Every single time it failed though, and sometimes in spectacular fashion. I finally realized that the problem wasn't that I couldn't find the right way to moderate - it was that I hadn't fully accepted that I am an alcoholic. This means accepting that I will never, ever be able to moderate my drinking...so the only solution is to just never pick up the first one.

Rock bottom is really kind of a relative term, because no matter how low you go, you can always go lower - until you die of course ( which does happen ).

What exactly do you do to keep working on your sobriety in between your periods of drinking and abstinence?
Really nothing. I just feel good a few days after drinking and then I feel like I have a hold of it. Then, Sunday arrives and I plan to just have a couple and watch the football games with friends and I end up being an all night rockstar.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Time to break the chains SHH
Old 12-22-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by SoberHappyHour View Post
Really nothing. I just feel good a few days after drinking and then I feel like I have a hold of it. Then, Sunday arrives and I plan to just have a couple and watch the football games with friends and I end up being an all night rockstar.
Maybe instead of drinking and watching football you could come here and chat. Or go to a few AA?NA meetings throughout the week. Or read up on some AVRT literature. Simply "not drinking" is not recovery, and it usually doesn't last.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Scott, think I'm going to use your suggestions. This feeling of depression today is not good at all. I have no desire to do anything right now.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me it had to be like someone telling me I had a nut allergy, would you still have some nuts and put your life at risk if a Dr said you need to stay away from nuts??

Alcohol had to become similar to that in my mind and I had to accept it was just as serious!!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks, that's a good way of looking at it. And really, I pretty much am allergic because every time I drink, I end up doing stupid things.