Notices

How do I help???

Old 12-22-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation How do I help???

My boyfriend and I had a long emotional talk last night about the upcoming year. He is a pretty heavy beer drinker and has been for a long time. He has decided that now is the time to fight the addiction and kick the habit. I know that it will be a tough road and want to do what I can to be there for him and help. I honestly don't know what to expect or even what I can/need to do to help him get through this.

Most people that are as bad as he is need meds or a treatment facility, but he doesn't have that option due to no insurance in our career paths. I'm a nationally certified EMT, so I know the risks and how dangerous this process can be...I know the signs and symptoms of the problems quitting can cause, but it's the emotional side of things that scares the hell out of me! Any good advise out there???
Old 12-22-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

obamacare can help, otherwise we are penalized at tax time...

salvation army can help, too
Old 12-22-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so sorry, I don't know anything about options in the US but on an emotional side, keep letting him you know you understand it will be a struggle but that you are there for him
Old 12-22-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

AA and Al Anon can also help
Old 12-22-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I think the best support you can give him is loving encouragement, staying positive yourself as well as grateful while supporting his attending meetings and getting a sponsor with lots of experience in sobriety. For yourself, there are Alanon and family sections here on the boards. Actually, once he has a good sponsor it will help you both. Congratulations to you both!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm scared for him and the whole process. It broke my heart to see him break down in tears and tell me how badly beer has ruined his life. I love this man heart and soul and will stand beside him through this challenge
Old 12-22-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Want to help

Sugarbear has given some good advice here are some links

The Salvation Army USA Central Territory - Addiction Recovery (Adult Rehabilitation Centers) Meetings - Colorado AA

http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/home

Be sure to check out our friends & family section for added support Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Youl find a ton of support here
Old 12-22-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can check out AlAnon in your area as a support for yourself.

And, we have a Friends & Families forum on this board as well.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi.
Unfortunately as much as many want to help, the need has to come from the drinking individual and usually that person is in denial of a problem or does not want to give up their crutch for living.

This is where Al Anon and the friends forum come in, they can help with your sanity and offer good healthy ways of coping. Not saying that in the beginning you’ll embrace all of their advice, just give it a chance.

BE WELL
Old 12-22-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What is his plan moving forward?

For me my own willpower didn't do much good, I needed a network of support and you being supportive of his decision can be a positive thing!!

As already mentioned, meetings, but also here on SR there is plenty of support!!
Old 12-22-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm not sure....things got pretty emotional and we didn't make it that far last night. I do know he is afraid of going cold turkey so is planning to slowly cut back...maybe a 4 week plan to be alcohol free...