Notices

So here goes..

Old 12-19-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So here goes..

Hello,

I'm Paul. I have a problem with alcohol. After a lifetime of partying and binging 3-4 nights a week. I met my partner 10 years ago and moved from Sydney to Berlin.
Since then my drinking, which was always too much, has gone from being social, only drinking with friends at bars, to private at home.
Over the last 5 years I have averaged 3 sober nights a week, while the others I would drink usually 2 wine bottles, often 1Litre bottles. Regret and headache tablets have been my life.
4 years ago I gave up drinking for New Years, even went to about 5 AA meetings. Didn't feel as though I fit in though. Lasted about 5 months before I started drinking.
Since January I have become a father, resulting in a lot more nights at home, not a big problem for me. The first few months my drinking was ok, I was very careful not to drink.
However in the last 4-5 it seems to have gotten completely out of control. I find myself at work at 8am obsessing as to whether I can drink that particular night at home. Realising I will obsess until I give in. It has really started scaring me.
26 days ago I started listening to The Bubble Hour podcast. And even though I'm not a woman in the states, I have found it so amazing and helpful. They talk a lot about finding a community, which is what has brought me here.
I even went back to AA today, though I said as little as possible and was the first out the door at the end.
I have been sober 26 days and have found it to be ok so far. Almost like the alcohol switch went off in my brain. I have been taking it easier and scaling down Christmas plans. But I am scared, I have also been on countless diets, where the switch in my brain went off for 4-30 days, making it really easy to loose weight. But then when it switched back on I was helpless to control my consumption.
I am sure I am emotionally addicted to alcohol, I think the physical addiction could be right around the corner..
I am loving my sobriety, but am very scared about my preparedness for the possibility of the alcohol switch turning back on.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Paul! Congrats on 26 days. You will find a lot of support here so stick around-read, post and if you think you might drink, come here first. We are open 24/7!
Old 12-19-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Paul, to SR. Good job on 26 days!!! Glad you found us.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So glad you found this place. It has really helped me a lot. Read a lot and post as much as you need. It has really made a difference for me. Have you researched AVRT? More tools for your arsenal.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Paul, congratulations on becoming a dad. What an adventure that is!

At about 11 weeks sober I'm not qualified to give sage advise, but I certainly can offer encouragement to you. I sometimes worry a little that my alcohol switch may try to turn on again too. For now I really still focus on each individual day....that way it doesn't overwhelm me. Over the next few months I plan to build on my life of sobriety and not just manage to exist without drinking. Early on, it has taken all my effort to just not drink, but I feel that changing my life's whole framework and striving to make it genuinely more fulfilling during 2015 will help keep the switch off. I wish you the best.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Paul. Glad you're here.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Paul well done on day 26 bud
Old 12-19-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 12-19-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Paul and congrats on 26 days!
Old 12-19-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for 26 days sober.

And, it's good that you are aware you need to be prepared for cravings with this disease.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, Paul. I've just discovered the Bubble Hour too and have been listening to the podcasts on my commute. Really gets my head in the right place when I get home, no more running to the shelter of my little stress helper.

I've also thought of the similarity between sobriety and dieting. For both, to be successful, the change has to be lasting. You're not on the wagon or on a diet, you are making lifelong changes. Stick around and stay sober for yourself and your family.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Paul and congratulations on becoming a father and for the 26 days sober. As someone who is once again on day 1 there isn't much I can offer, but I wish you well.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for these lovely messages.
I worked today, horribly busy shift with way too much pressure. That has always been exactly the type of trigger that had me grabbing two bottles of wine and starting a 4 day binge.
However on the train home I listened to some Bubble Hour, have also eaten some Chocolate to treat myself. Im now on day 28 and am really looking forward to day 30.
And I am so excited about starting the year sober.
Happy 4th Advent everybody.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go on day 28 Tums

Exellent post friend
Old 12-21-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good job on 28 days.

This is the third or fourth time someone has mentioned Bubbble Hour; I'm going to check it out. Thanks, Tums.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Tums

D
Old 12-21-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you Paul.

Alcohol ruled my world too - for decades. I actually thought it was enhancing my life and making it more fun - helping me cope with problems. Going through our days numb and foggy is such a waste. I'm really happy you are loving sobriety. It will continue to get better, and your resolve will grow stronger. Glad you are with us.