Notices

Playing again

Old 12-18-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Playing again

I remember before my drinking career that the beach, parks, trips, movies, etc was lots of fun. Will I ever feel the same again? How long does it take?
Old 12-18-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there,

It's funny- I'm hitting a stage at the moment where I'm becoming really playful, kinda silly and just enjoying doing simple things.

I've been sober for one month, had a week long bender before that and before that was sober for over four months.

I don't know if it's really just a time thing for me, though. I think I'm seriously giving myself permission to relax and enjoy stuff and be a bit of a kid :=] It's totally ok.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yes reconnecting with the stuff we used to love doing before drinking is one of the best things about being sober

take a lil time building some sober muscles and do the things you loved before the drinking
Old 12-18-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey joyfullysober-

Your topic is one that I've been sort of struggling with myself. After 16 months of not drinking, I am finding many things to be enjoyable, however I'm not yet enjoying a lot of the things that I once did. Admittedly they were centered around booze (Dinners out, weekend get togethers and the like). I think this is a fairly common issue, at least from what I've gathered from this site.

I posted a similar topic myself almost a month ago titled; "Does Sobriety Mean Less Excitement?"
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...xcitement.html

For me, I am finding that it seems to be getting better. I think as time goes by, I am finding less of a need for the booze to still enjoy myself. Most of this is pretty much centered around my social life, as all of the other aspects are much better without booze.

Things should improve with time, so hang in there. There's no doubt that living sober far outweighs being drunk, so there's really no other option. At least for me.

Lusher
Old 12-18-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

there is not specific time frame; so many factors are involved, how long you drank, how much you drank, your individual body chemistry, your commitment to working a program, diet, exercise.

but the real answer is that if you stop drinking and work on the underlying issues of why you drank in the first place, you will enjoy you life as much as or more than you ever have. for me, the first time around, at 90 days i was feeling better at 180 days, i was feeling good and by 9 months i was feeling great.

you cant rush it, we didn't get this way overnight, so it will take some time to get back to our natural state.

stick around here, lots go good advice from people who have been down this path!
Old 12-18-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Honestly JS I'm having more fun now than I ever did at any other time of my life.

Give your mind and body a little time to heal, and give yourself time to build a new sober life that you love

It will happen

D
Old 12-18-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd say it took me about six months before I started feeling normal again and taking joy in things. Stay sober and it will get better.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks to all. Lusher, great link. Really got me thinking...