getting sick

Old 12-18-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

getting sick

My son is 7 months sober and this last month has had the flu, sinus infection, ear infections. He takes vitamins eats healthy. Is this par for course? Just needing some knowledge.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know what alcoholism and recovery does to your immune system -- but I can tell you this for sure: There are some nasty germs out there this year, whether you're a recovering alcoholic or not.

We haven't been full force at my office since Thanksgiving -- right now, we have about 60% of the staff NOT out sick... so it might just be the nasty germs your son has fallen victim to.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I second the nasty germs going around. I also think that many times people who suffered with alcoholism have to get back into the habit of taking good care of themselves which may take a while.

Hope he feels better soon! Congrats to him on 7 months sober, that is great!
Old 12-18-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yup, I am not a drinker, at all. Yet in the last three months, I have had pnumonia, bronchitis, and the flu. And I am usually in good health!
Old 12-18-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We had a year where we just didn't get a break. Healthy family, yet we were sick with everything that came down the pike. My doctor just said that that's how the ball rolls sometimes for us and then you'll have years when you barely catch a cold. Sorry he's been ill, but there's a LOT of viruses going around and once your immune system is taking a beating, it's harder to rebuild it and get it back on track. Hope he's on the mend soon!
Old 12-18-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the information. Talked to him just now. He is eating and going back to sleep and said "I'm still sober". He doesn't live at home so hearing him be sick is tough. He took care of going drs and taking care of himself. He really is doing good, mentally and physically and spiriturally. I don't want this to downfall his sobriety. He has good support system so I will just keep praying for him.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And I will agree with you in prayer. I have kids with different kinds of problems (no addictions -- yet at least) and I know how a mother's heart breaks when you can't be there and help them through. (((hugs)))