First EMDR session

Old 12-18-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First EMDR session

I thought I would update on the progress here for anyone interested in EMDR. My T uses tones (in a headset) and handheld buzzers instead of eye movements. I gotta say it was intense and pretty destabilizing for a couple days. The first memory I decided to process was an incident with RAH that in my trauma history, was not the worst thing that ever happened. But of course as the T asks me to focus on the feelings of being trapped and powerlessness my brain immediately goes to THE most traumatic memory. I guess she was right when she said she had a feeling we were going right into the belly of the beast.

For almost a decade in therapy, I have NEVER cried in session. I cried like a baby during the reprocessing. After I felt dazed. Sorta dissociating but not. I got home and just crashed. I think the dazed thing was more my brain being completely overworked. She said to expect more reprocessing in the days to follow and Tuesday I was a raw and anxious mess. That night in my dreams the "safe place " we developed was retooled and now that memory while still sad is much less sharp and doesn't have the same sheer panic associated with it. We will see. This is going to be a tough row to hoe.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this.

We don't know who else this may have helped, who feels alone, and isolated, but we certainly know there are many others who have a history of trauma. Your share may make a huge difference to one of those folks.

Sending gentle hugs and support,

CLMI
Old 12-18-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

After I felt dazed. Sorta dissociating but not. I got home and just crashed. I think the dazed thing was more my brain being completely overworked. She said to expect more reprocessing in the days to follow and Tuesday I was a raw and anxious mess. That night in my dreams the "safe place " we developed was retooled and now that memory while still sad is much less sharp and doesn't have the same sheer panic associated with it. We will see. This is going to be a tough row to hoe.
Yes, this is how it worked for me as well. After a session, and a couple of days after, I would go home EXHAUSTED. Almost unable to do anything else but sleep. EMDR and the meditational exercises were life-changing for me.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

TerpGal, florence, and others...thanks for sharing this experience. This is so very useful for those of us--like myself--who are interested, but essentially know nothing else about this form of treatment.

Hearing about first hand experiences is very valuable.

I understand that EMDR is gaining acceptability as a treatment technique. I am very encouraged by this. (I frequently come in contact with individuals who have suffered past trauma).

Thanks, again, TerpGal...I am very hopeful for you!!
I hope you will continue to let us k now how it is going for you....

dandylion
Old 12-18-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Double post again!
Old 12-18-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this! I was just about to start EMDR when I lost my insurance, so I've postponed it indefinitely (or until I can get insurance again).
Old 12-18-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Peace and rest for you Terp. You are working very hard and I commend you for going the distance! But, going the distance also means rest and patience! Take the time to heal.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am very happy to hear that this is being an effective treatment for you.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was given EMDR treatment a few times for some childhood trauma dished out by my alcoholic parents. My therapist waved her fingers back and forth and I watched them with my eyes. It was AMAZINGLY effective. I started off so upset, and by the end of the sessions, I was totally calm and actually felt sorry for my parents instead of myself. Recommend.