Notices

Putting my money where my mouth is...

Old 12-17-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Putting my money where my mouth is...

Literally.

When I started this journey of sobriety 12 (yay) days ago, I knew it wouldn't be easy...but I wasn't prepared for just how unsupportive my alcoholic partner would be.
Actually, he's been more a saboteur than anything...along with being a master manipulator ( like all good alcoholics) and intimidator.

Long story short...I had to leave my home in order to save my sobriety.
I've been staying with a lovely friend, but because of the holidays, she needs her guest room back
So...I will be moving into one of those extended stay hotels this weekend...and it's not cheap! Of course, I'm certain I spent more money on booze...so, maybe I'm actually saving money!

See, I've made a commitment to put my sobriety FIRST. Period. Maybe what I'm doing seems extreme...I don't know...all I know is that my life had become extreme. Extremely depressing and extremely meaningless!

See, alcohol was going to kill me one way or another...probably by suicide, and I'm unwilling to live like that anymore.

So, yeah, my life is pretty upside down right now. I'm feeling a bit insecure, but I'm sober and I'm alive. And I have hope today which is something I didn't have 12 days ago!

Thanks y'all for supporting me through the past 12 days!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

12 days is a great accomplishment especially with an unsupportive partner and being displaced. I know that it's really hard, but it really says something that you are putting your sobriety first. You've taken on a really big game and are showing a lot of courage. Keep reaching out for support whenever you need because we are here to sit with you when the going gets too tough to do it alone. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're doing the right thing. Whatever it takes!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

brynn…I think you are one remarkable woman! Congrats and well done!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Brynn -

My experience is that we have to do whatever it takes. This IS a matter of life and death.

When we give up alcohol, there are some aspects of our lives that we are able to adapt and adjust, and others that we simply have to flee and exclude.

When I got sober (four months today!) in August, I was living with a man who I really, really thought was "the one." He was a very heavy drinker, but didn't have concrete repercussions in his life from his drinking. I did - I am dealing with health issues related to alcohol which ARE at this point literally life and death.

It was a newer relationship, but we were in love, and I fully expected that when the doctors told me I had to stop drinking, he would find a way to be supportive - whether that meant quitting beside me for a while, or clearing the house of alcohol, or, well, whatever.

I assumed that I had so much value to him, that he would move mountains to keep me safe.

What he offered was that he would step out on the porch to drink each drink, and then come back inside. Um.... Huh...

I tried for a couple of weeks, attempting to ignore all the beers in the fridge, going to AA meetings. I relapsed twice during those weeks and realized that I couldn't. Some can. I couldn't. I asked him to leave and ended the relationship.

I still miss him. I still sometimes question whether it was the right thing. I am still sober.

It was at high cost. And that's okay. That immense price that I paid early on actually has helped me to stay sober, because if I started drinking again now, I would have lost that love for nothing. Except... when push came to shove, it turns out that he was unwilling to be uncomfortable temporarily in order to help me with a major issue. No human being owes another that level of support, but it is what I want from a true partner. It is what I am willing to give, and I would expect it to be reciprocated. So, really, the whole thing just showed me what he was made of, and that isn't what I thought. False gold.

"We are willing to go to any lengths" - that's what the big book says...

I congratulate you on your courage. You are brave and committed and inspiring.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great work, Byrnn!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ya**!

I see it as an extreme dedication to saving your own life, Brynn. Which this battle requires.

As always, your presence, example, and dedication inspire us all. Be safe Brynnster and well done.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 12 Brynn and getting away from such a bad enviorment

Is there any family or other friends you can stay at rather than a hotel esp so close to the holidays

well done again
Old 12-17-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
brynn…I think you are one remarkable woman! Congrats and well done!
This.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome Brynn, 12 days is a solid foundation. You should be very proud!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Brynn, that took strength, dedication and commitment. The word congratulations seems inadequate just now.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Brynn, I so admire and am inspired by you! Brava!!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Thanks for the support y'all and for sharing your story heartcore!

I was so naive going in to this...duh...this whole thing has definitely been an eye-opener.

Someone asked about staying with family....the family I have nearby are heavy drinkers and because of that theres a lot of arguing/stress in that house....not a good place for me at the moment, even though I'm sure they would respect my decision not to drink...I can't take the stress over there! I'll take my chances at the Marriott!!

I want y'all to know that making the decision to get sober is the first DELIBERATE decision I've made in a very long time! Just been kind of floating along.
It's been incredibly empowering!
Old 12-17-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to read this brynn

D
Old 12-17-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You are making the right choice for yourself.
I think this is an example of "doing whatever it takes" to get your sobriety.

Be proud--many people would not have the courage to step out of their comfort zone and do this.

It is worth it--wait till you see how great you feel a few months into sobriety.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Brynn i want you to know your awesome

sorry i didnt know your family were big drinkers my apoligies

I think your doing exellent brynn
Old 12-17-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Brynn,

I think that you are incredibly strong. I don't know if I could have done what you did. Read the big book. Find comfort in it's words and know that you can NEVER put anyone or anything before your sobriety.

Best of luck,

coco
Old 12-17-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great job on 12 days. Youre absolutely right. Alcoholism is a matter of life and death. Its the hardest struggle ive ever faced. One that no one comprehends. Keep it up.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

WOW!! That is a brave and determined move, and the best move you could make, putting your sanity and sobriety first.
You have real courage Brynn. This is easily the bravest thing i've heard all week.
Allowing someone else to coax you into unhealthy behavior is easy to rationalize, but you won't let it happen.
Well Done!!!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I agree with everyone else , it was a couragous decision to leave your partner , most people can't do it