Notices

Napping!!

Old 12-16-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Napping!!

Hello everyone - Just checking in at Day 23 and cruising right along. One thing I am noticing is that now that I am able to sleep again (after initial withdrawal), I have the desire to nap during the day (every day).

Work is not very demanding right now so I guess it isn't necessarily a "bad thing" but anyway, do people commonly experience this in early sobriety? Possibly my body just wanting to sleep to "heal" from the abuse? I sleep for about 8 hours a night and then take a 1-2 hour nap during the day. How long does this typically last? Thanks!
Old 12-16-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We can't tell you how long this might last as everyone is different. I think it's common in early recovery to be tired. After all, you are healing. If you continue to be tired a lot, see your doctor.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 23!! Well done!!

Napping is a something i do a lot of when i'm not working, napping and sleeping 8+ hours.
And i'm getting to bed earlier too. I've never been a 6 hours of sleep person, i always needed 8 hours. And i'll do a 90min nap too.
Great job on 23 days! That's an amazing accomplishment.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

SoberD, Congrats on 23 days! That is fantastic!

I definitely spent a lot of time napping the first month and a half, despite sleeping better than I was when I was drinking. (sober sleep is truly my favorite thing in the whole world right now)! I'm at 11 weeks , and I would say in the last month and a half or so, the napping seems to be lessening. I also am sleeping much better (less waking up and then falling back to sleep), which may be why.
Unless you feel depressed or blue, I'd take the napping as just a sign that your body is rejuvenating itself.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ive been like that lately but ive joined the gym again and I seem to be getting my energy back (slowly).
I love napping and I love being sober. Congratulations on 23 days.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I remember the same thing happening to me....I still occasionally do on weekends or on vacations. I think for me it not only had to do with the physical healing, but the mental healing as I was doing a lot of reflecting, analyzing, thinking....very exhausting. Congratulations on your sober time!!
Old 12-16-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 23 Sober D
Old 12-16-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In early sobriety I took a lot of naps. They do not come easy now.

I think that there was a lot of healing going on back then.

Enjoy, sleep is good for us

MM
Old 12-16-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love naps!!!!
And it's been a few years since i got sober.

Can't say I tooK naps or slept good in early sobriety. 2-4 hours sleep was the norm for a while.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love hearing about napping. I have the opposite issue - I have so much energy they I have trouble sleeping. I have had to take an Advil PM most nights since not drinking just to fall asleep. It is getting better. I am looking forward to a normal sleep cycle.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For the first few months when I got home I was shattered, a quick nap and more sleep was always on the agenda as my body was craving it!!

Keep pushing through, things get better!!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm on day 18 right now. I went from no sleep for days, to now "sorta sleeping" 3-4 hours of continuous sleep. I've been taking catnaps in the late morning hours, which is something so foreign to me! When I was actively drinking, I never napped. I am on a low dose beta blocker to help with the BP, so that could be kicking my rear or it's in combination with the healing process.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

I'm on day 67 now, and the first month I had loads of energy. I've been dog tired for this last month though, but then I've been delving into some emotional stuff quite deeply, plus getting over a virus.

I do think personally it's about our bodies healing in early recovery, there's bound to be up and downs, but if you are worried it might be good to go see the doc just to put your mind at rest.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was common for me yeah - I didn't like it LOL so I was glad when the urge to nap passed

D