Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Day 16, yay! Christmas party tonight with main event: Alcohol!

Notices

Old 12-16-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've read a lot of threads where people say this is one heck of a time of year to try to quit drinking, and they're right! I'm 16 days in, and I have to say I feel amazing. The fog has lifted, the restful sleep has returned, I don't have to check my phone in the morning to see who I've texted the night before and what I said, etc. etc. I know it's still early for me, but I can honestly say (at least today) that I'm not interested in picking back up again. Tonight there's a gathering of my work department at (where else...) a local bar. I have to go; my absence would stick out like a sore thumb. I plan to order a Diet Coke and just mingle for an hour or so and then slip out after having made an appearance. Anyone else have coping skills for Holiday Parties where alcohol is the main event?
Old 12-16-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by terbo View Post
I've read a lot of threads where people say this is one heck of a time of year to try to quit drinking, and they're right! I'm 16 days in, and I have to say I feel amazing. The fog has lifted, the restful sleep has returned, I don't have to check my phone in the morning to see who I've texted the night before and what I said, etc. etc. I know it's still early for me, but I can honestly say (at least today) that I'm not interested in picking back up again. Tonight there's a gathering of my work department at (where else...) a local bar. I have to go; my absence would stick out like a sore thumb. I plan to order a Diet Coke and just mingle for an hour or so and then slip out after having made an appearance. Anyone else have coping skills for Holiday Parties where alcohol is the main event?
Just keep an eye out for the contingencies in the environment that made you an alcoholic in the first place. Everyone is gonna be having a "good time" and that may serve as a trigger for past behavior. You should have your phone to this site and check it here and there, for you could have some sort of reality check.

Be careful, and best of luck.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not staying long is key. I went to two parties last weekend. Stayed about 1.5 hours at each one.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 16 Terbo

D prepared this brilliant link in advance it is very useful http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...val-guide.html
Old 12-16-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I have to go; my absence would stick out like a sore thumb
So what? They are not the ones who are alcoholics and suffer bad consequences from their drinking. You are.

I m not saying you can never go to a party >in a bar< ever again but it took you 10 months to put 16 days together (congratulations btw) are you willing to risk it?
Old 12-16-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't spend a second without a non-alcoholic beverage in hand. You can do this.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tonight there's a gathering of my work department at (where else...) a local bar.
no problem
be prepared to step outside for some fresh air
and a nice little break away from the booze den
no one will miss you
MM
Old 12-16-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

really looks like your in a great spot! im 18 days in and I feel exactly how you do, I have a xmas function coming up with also the main event being alcohol and I plan to go and be sociable order something eat loads of food and slip out, at least we will be there right? who says we HAVE to be drinking. fingers x for us both good luck and great job!
Old 12-16-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If I can do it, you can do it. I was really apprehensive about this issue. We had our dept. party Saturday a week ago. I didn't drink and was able to gravitate toward a coworker who also wasn't drinking. My boss's gf told me "you need to drink! Let me get you a beer!" and I just insisted no. After a minute the issue went away. It was interesting being sober. Obviously in the past I would have been one of the people who stayed and drank for hours. I stayed for an hour, ate lots of food, and drove home sober.

Just don't drink. You don't owe anyone an explanation either!
Old 12-16-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Brong your own water bottle full and maybe put a lemon, lime or other fruit in it. Keep it full of water. If someone offers you a drink, hold up the bottle, give it shake and say "Mah, I got mine. Thanks!". move on!

Love from Lenina
Old 12-17-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the encouragement! It went well. I didn't touch a drop, and managed to stay for 1-1/2 hours just socializing and sipping my water. Felt great when I left! WE CAN DO THIS!!! Together. Thanks everyone. So much.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Do you have someone in your sober network (a sober friend) who you can bring with you. Can you call someone or a sponsor if you start feeling sketchy? Otherwise I wouldn't even go. Your life is worth if. Who cares if you stick out like a sore thumb, you will stick out more if you get arrested, in a fight, dance on the table naked.....oh wait...I did that. HA HA. You get my drift. Have a good time though