Notices

Old 12-16-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

...days sober today.

I wish I could say that I feel better than ever and that I am steadfast in my resolve to be sober forever, but in the back of my mind, I'm anxious about getting much needed groceries. I used to frequent every liquor store in town and would have to drive by at least one of them to get to the grocery store. My girlfriend is out of town and I just got done with a few stressful days at work. I know that in the end I determine my own actions, so I am not exactly worried that I will drink. Still, I did not expect to be struggling with the idea of driving past a liquor store after 6 months of sobriety.

I'm proud of my accomplishment, but I see that I am only starting down this road. I will need to continue the hard work to truly change.

Thank you all for your support.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm at the beginning if my journey but the honesty if people like you are very helpful for people like me.

Thank you
Old 12-16-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Spend some more time here, there is a lot of wisdom here.

I had a tough time at six months, too. I made it - you will too Good job in thinking seriously about it.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that you are aware of your feelings right now and that's a good thing. Keep talking to yourself to stay away from the liquor store and go straight to the grocery store. Stay the course and you will get through this.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 183 days LITT

Remember you're not alone - there is always support here.

You clearly want to be sober - that stands, whether your gf is there or not, yeah?

you can do this

D
Old 12-16-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on 183 days thats fantastic lostinthetrees
Old 12-16-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time. Give yourself more time to fully recover, mentally and physically. It will get better.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

183 Days is fantastic!!
Old 12-16-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey lostinthetrees- Congrats on the 183 days!

The feelings that you are having should ease up with time. As you learn new ways of dealing with the stressful times, I think the thoughts of turning to alcohol will begin to diminish.

When I first stopped, it seemed as if I was unable to have a good time when I was out and about without booze. I never knew anything else. Although I still have those types of feelings, they are getting better, and I hope they continue to improve with more time. I'm actually to the point where my mind does not default to having a drink when things are not going so great.

You're doing very well, so hang in there!

Lusher
Old 12-16-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. I made it to the grocery store and home without any other stops. Grabbed a piece of cheesecake instead of a bottle.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lostinthetrees View Post
I wish I could say that I feel better than ever.... Still, I did not expect to be struggling with the idea of driving past a liquor store after 6 months of sobriety.
Ugh, this is what i experience too. When i was sick and tired and using, i thought "I'll quit drinking, become healthy, then i'll feel good all the time!" It didn't work out that way (darn!). The good part of quitting is I'm no longer sick each morning, and the utter dread of life is gone that raged through the morning and afternoon. However, i'm not a always contented happy person either. Now I feel anxiety throughout the day. Not debilitating, but it's still there. And I realize that this feeling of discomfort was what i was masking at night by drinking. And that what masked the feeling in the evening became the raging dread/depression the next morning and all through the day, which made me crave the numbness again. When it gets too much, i just get quiet when i'm in a group, or if i'm home alone, try to sleep.

I don't have any solutions, except group support that you're not alone, it happens to me too. One thing i realize is that alcohol won't work as a discomfort masking device without bringing much more discomfort after it wears off.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time AND on getting home with just the cheesecake! I still congratulate myself when I make it home some days without buying alcohol or stopping in the bar when it has been "one of those days". It is always good to have the support of your gf, but don't forget as Dee said....you are never alone....there is always someone here.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Early on I it was suggested to me to avoid the liquor isle at the grocery store.woulda been great iffen there wasn't stuff down there i needed. A friend said to me," you gotta go down that isle, but theres only one way any liquors gonna get in yer cart, to yer car, to yer home, and in yer body and that's if you allow it to happen. Get yer ass down that isle get what ya need and get out. That simple."
Yup, the thought was there, but i didn't have to act on it