Notices

day 2 and not happy

Old 12-16-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 2 and not happy

Well we started the day off late. I woke up a hour later than I wanted. Than I lost my temper with my wife and than my kids. It is not the drinking that is driving me crazy, it the not smoking putting me on edge. I have a lot of sorry to say on day4. What do you do to cope with life.in the early days?
Old 12-16-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Actually, you're doing great by not drinking and posting here.

One of the most important tools is remembering that it is the early days and things will get better.

You didn't became an alcoholic overnight, and it will take more than a few days to recover.

If your wife doesn't understand why this is so important, show her some threads in the "Friends and Family of Alcoholics" section.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm also on day 2 and have spent most of today on my own and have been feeling nervous, edgy etc.

I'm so not an expert but think you need to not beat yourself up over being a bit sharp. You've recognised you have been so can move on from it
Old 12-16-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well If I read correctly, you stopped both smoking and drinking.

That's great, but you could attack one things at a time you know. Maybe stop drinking for a couple of weeks, then kick the smoking habit?
Old 12-16-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Early recovery is a emotional roller coaster. But that doesn't mean we have to take our loved ones on the ride with us.

You don't have to lose your cool over it, and you don't have to drink over it.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's really difficult at first but things do get better. I was up and down like a peep of gas! Sad, angry, okay, happy, annoyed, elated...just hang in there and don't drink.

Wishing you well.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was really snippy the first few days, too. I can't imagine trying to quit smoking on top of withdrawing from booze. Coffee and cigarettes and AA are my saving graces right now.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Geno, I too am quitting both drinking and smoking. I've quit both before and I found the first week was the roughest with not smoking. Try to push through that first week. If it proves to still be way too difficult maybe wait a few weeks until you level out a bit without the alcohol and then drop the smokes. You can do this! Be gentle on yourself.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Geno be aware of your emotions boiling over

Well done on day 2

in the early days ? i kept my head down and got on with my sobriety going meetings trying to be a better person than i was when i was drinking etc

Are you attending any sobriety meetings ?

have you got a sobriety plan ?

Good luck
Old 12-16-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Are you using any kind of nicotine substitute? I used an e-cig for a little while to take the edge off. Then I was able to get off that...
Old 12-16-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by geno198 View Post
Well we started the day off late. I woke up a hour later than I wanted. Than I lost my temper with my wife and than my kids. It is not the drinking that is driving me crazy, it the not smoking putting me on edge. I have a lot of sorry to say on day4. What do you do to cope with life.in the early days?
First, welcome—and congratulations on your courage to undertake sobriety. Good for you!

Second, ColdFusion is right: it will take time for the neurological/physiological results of drinking to unwind.

Third, what do I do to cope (I have a month in)?

* I go to AA meetings, and hang out here (my combined sangha).
* I use a mantra that expresses my way of “turning it over” (in the context of my own spiritual understanding), and I use repeated affirmations as well (trying to groove new thought patterns in my brain).
* I eat and sleep as well as I can, and try to get some exercise.
* I tell my wife exactly what’s going on with me (e.g., if I’m “restless, irritable and discontent”). She’s very supportive and insightful, and seems to appreciate my including her as part of my journey—and I’m thankful for that.
* I forgive myself (and ask forgiveness from others as needed).
* I remind myself that this will take time, and that I am giving myself—time.
* Then I begin again . . . today, and today, and today . . .

Stay well.

EDIT: I quit tobacco about three years ago. So now I "only" have to deal with the alcohol.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hang in there Geno. The early days are the roughest. It does get easier... Can't ever let your guard down, but the edginess does taper off with time.

Your family will benefit from all of your efforts.

I used the patch years ago to help quit smoking and chewing tobacco. Seemed to help me get over the initial hump.

Stay strong
Old 12-16-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Ya I quit both for a reason. I just want to go through It only once instead of twice. We will survive
Old 12-16-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Geno try nicotine patches, they will help and stop the cravings, then you can battle the bottle. then attack the smoking part that's what I did/do!
Old 12-16-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I quit both at once so it can be done Geno - keep moving forward - it will get easier

D
Old 12-16-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

We have finished day 2. Thank you for all of your support and advice. We will see you all in the morning. Unless I can't sleep. But thank you