Notices

I want to do 6 months sober.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to do 6 months sober.

I apologize to the newcomers or anyone that doesn't know my story. It's similar to many. If you have questions about my story or my past then please check my threads. If you don't want to then you can ask me here. I decided tonight that I want to do 6 months with no alcohol. I'm no longer drinking daily and I haven't for over a year. However, I feel that there are still things in my life that I want to achieve. My drinking, despite it only being a handful of times per month, is inhibiting me. Don't get me wrong. I was a heavy heavy daily drinker for a long time (8-12+ high alcohol beers per night) (I loved IPA's) So newcomers, don't minimize your drinking by reading this and thinking (oh he is only drinking a few times per month so it cannot be a problem). It clearly is, that is why I'm posting. Well, I've come a LONG way in the last year, many thanks to SR, however, I still feel that I need a nice long term sober bout to sort things out. I'm still not convinced that I can never drink again (I've open-mindedly read the first 300 pages of the big book of AA and I will finish it before new years). Not because I'm afraid of never drinking again, just my neurophysiology background suggests otherwise. (To be fair, I don't study dopamine nor addiction, rather, I study pain processing) Anyway, I've been a lurker a long time here, and I realize many will disagree with "only" 6 months sober, including some threads I've created in the past. Either way, tomorrow is day 1. That doesn't mean I drank tonight, I didn't, but it's day 1 of my 6 month period. The decision to venture into longer term sobriety... if nothing else is just to feel what it feels like. I get jealous hearing veteran members on this board describe what long term sobriety feels like. So going to your comments? I mean how could you read this and not voice some opinion right? I don't need comments about how "if I can do 6 months, then why not forever?" What I need is people that are just starting recovery to team up with me, lets count the days, regardless of our individuals goals. I need veteran members to PM me to check on my progress. PM go straight to my main email account and I will see them and answer promptly. Just a bit of encouragement can go so far when I'm at work and not thinking about drinking (which would have to occur after 5pm EST) Many thanks... -Serper
Old 12-15-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Serper,

How about joining the "December Class"?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

This is how I started my journey in the beginning of the year (for me it was the January Class) and it really helped for a while until I figured out how to get the most out of SR.
Good luck
Old 12-15-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Hi Serper,

How about joining the "December Class"?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

This is how I started my journey in the beginning of the year (for me it was the January Class) and it really helped for a while until I figured out how to get the most out of SR.
Good luck
Hey, yeah that sounds great. I've never joined a "class" before, but the thread you linked seems to be closed!
Old 12-15-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go for it Serper; hope you love total sobriety so much at the end of six months that you want to make it a permanent way of life!!!!
Old 12-15-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I need veteran members to PM me to check on my progress.
I think it would be better to turn that around - why don't you post here for encouragement, or PM members?

I'm not trying to be confrontational but it's your recovery - why should you expect others to be doing the work?

D
Old 12-15-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck!
Old 12-15-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think it would be better to turn that around - why don't you post here for encouragement, or PM members?

I'm not trying to be confrontational but it's your recovery - why should you expect others to be doing the work?

D
Because I've already decide that I'm going to post a lot. I just don't want to clog up the works here with posts, while others need help. Thats all. But yeah, I don't expect others to put in the work for this, this is my thing.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Any post regarding recovery is a worthwhile post in my eyes.

I don't think you can post TOO much.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Serper2014 View Post
Because I've already decide that I'm going to post a lot. I just don't want to clog up the works here with posts, while others need help. Thats all. But yeah, I don't expect others to put in the work for this, this is my thing.
It's not like there's a finite amount of help here, Serper - you'll be fine

D
Old 12-15-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Small steps, Serper

Bunnez
Old 12-15-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It's not like there's a finite amount of help here, Serper - you'll be fine

D
Ok thanks for that !

-Serper!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey, yeah that sounds great. I've never joined a "class" before, but the thread you linked seems to be closed!
I don't think the thread I've linked is closed. Probably you clicked the old part on the first page of the ongoing one. Just use what I linked in the first post directly.

Just spend some time on SR and read around, you will figure out how everything works, it's very easy, user-friendly, and things usually progress quite fast.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Because I've already decide that I'm going to post a lot. I just don't want to clog up the works here with posts, while others need help.
Now that's silly. Look at the number of posts under my name. Plus one.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Post as much as you like, there is no limit and someone is nearly always here.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Post as much as you like, there is no limit and someone is nearly always here.
Thanks....
Old 12-15-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a link to the latest active page in that monthly thread:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-10.html

D
Old 12-15-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Serper, I gave myself a year, a more realistic period in my mind, and found that the benefits had really kicked in by then and I would have been silly to go back to drinking.

I suggest you up the period to a year to give yourself a proper chance of breaking free.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Go for it dude. Six months of sobriety is better than six months of drinking your A** into oblivion !

Maybe after six months you wont want any more.

Duh (aint candy coating nuttin) Dave
Old 12-15-2014, 09:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Six months is great. That's when everything fell into place for me. Just about there now.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck Serper