Notices

I want to drink

Old 12-15-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to drink

I've been doing so well -- so well! -- with not having any urges. Then today, after getting off the phone with a family member the urge came creeping back in. I know how bad it would be if I did it. I know my life is slowly starting to turn around, and that drinking would only send me spiraling back into hell.

But this family stuff is so difficult and so painful that right now I'd give anything to just make it go away. I have a close relative who is suffering from mental illness and will not seek help. It is horrible to witness and it is causing extreme stress throughout the entire family. I don't want to deal with it. I just want to drown myself in a bottle of liquor and forget the problem exists.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All that stress and you posted here! Excellent choice. Stay close!

And put that quote on loop in your mind... "Drinking would only send me spiraling back into hell."
Old 12-15-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm sorry all this is happening but drinking will not make it go away, only worse. This will pass. Keep your eye on the price. Play the tape. Use everything you have learned here. Is it really what YOU want?
Old 12-15-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I look at it like using gasoline as a fire extinguisher. Hang in there.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi NightnDay

Drinking will not solve your problems it will only add to them

my advice perservere stick close to SR remember what brought you here

you have 24/7 support here
Old 12-15-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

One of the things that got me on the path of permanent abstinence was looking at the pleasurable aspect of being drunk. Being a drunk wasn't pleasant for a wide range of reasons, but chasing the feeling of intoxication and experiencing it though fleeting and short lived was pleasurable in the moment. The honest recognition of that helped me see how my AV would use my pain or unease with life's difficulties and try to get me to drink under the guise of easing pain, when what I would be rewarded with was the selfish pleasure of intoxication.
My AV would be so cruel as to use my pain or the pain of others , just as an excuse to get drunk and I used to fall for it alot, and be left with the consequences , and still have life's difficulties to deal with.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You don't want to drink, your addiction does!!!
If you drink, it won't help your family at all, then everyone will just have another person to deal with.
You can get through, you'll feel so much better if you don't xoxo
Old 12-15-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm coming back from a relapse and while I learned from it, it was a terribly
Painful soul crushing experience that I will do anything to avoid experiencing again.

What is the reason you joined SR in the first place? Might help to think
About?

I hope you don't need to go through what I did
Old 12-15-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Family stuff can be hard to deal with. Try to look at it from an external view, don't take any mess into your own hands, you have plenty on your own plate right now to deal with. In the future, as your sobriety legs get stronger, you might be able to do a bit more for your family.

Wow, this is long and him going in circles, you get my groove.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

But instead of drinking, you posted. Well done. Remember, the urge will pass.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nightnday, stay strong. Good for you coming here and not going to the liquor store. You know the problem won't go away by drinking. That will only make everything worse after the temporary numbing effect wears off.

We've all had those feelings you are having now. I spent years numbing one thing or another. Being clear and sober is so much more powerful.

You can do it, stay strong
Old 12-15-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by NightNDay View Post
But this family stuff is so difficult and so painful that right now I'd give anything to just make it go away. I have a close relative who is suffering from mental illness and will not seek help. It is horrible to witness and it is causing extreme stress throughout the entire family. I don't want to deal with it. I just want to drown myself in a bottle of liquor and forget the problem exists.
This was me dealing with my brother and nephew. Devastating mental illness and refusal to do anything positive or helpful. I had to step away. It's not that I don't think about it. I do, especially at this time of the year. But, I did all I could to help and it didn't work and I will not give up my recovery for anyone.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by NightNDay View Post
I've been doing so well -- so well! -- with not having any urges. Then today, after getting off the phone with a family member the urge came creeping back in. I know how bad it would be if I did it. I know my life is slowly starting to turn around, and that drinking would only send me spiraling back into hell.

As alcoholics, sometimes we want to drink. Once we have made the decision to lead a sober life we take joy, sadness, troubles soberly!

Sorry for your problems - we all have them. But good or bad days I can't drink an it always makes whatever situation worse.

Hope you find a way to work thru it - use tips on here, go to meetings if you choose - but stay sober.

Kind Regards
FlyN
Old 12-15-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...mage-done.html
Old 12-15-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This happens to me to. I call it "Romanticizing The Disease". I forget all the problems that come after the first 20 minutes of excitement after the first drink. Instead of thinking about the very quick burst of chemical change in the body, focus on all the hassles it brings, the sickness, the tiredness, the sense of shame. When you want an escape, make sure you don't consider that one.
Best of luck!
Old 12-15-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sending you good thoughts, NightnDay!
Old 12-15-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

stay the course - good for you that you came here -- keep on motoring along

Old 12-15-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am sorry that one of your family members is suffering mental illness and the stress of dealing with it is causing the cravings. That is a difficult situation. It's great you're posting and reaching out for help. Keep remembering why you quit and how the alcohol isn't going to make the situation any better. If you're really struggling, try and do something that distracts you and keeps you away from the alcohol. Hang in there!
Old 12-15-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Drinking will not help, when the drinking spins out of control your family will be discussing your mental health on the phone
Alcohol makes us alcoholics insane and people that aren't alcohlics tend to venture on the dark side too sometimes when sipping on the yak. Don't do it, you will truly regret it!