Notices

Headed to Rehab

Old 12-15-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Headed to Rehab

I never knew what the concept of rock bottom was until last Saturday. 5:30 am. moment of truth with my wife. So the decision was made. I am checking into a program, hopefully in the next day or two. I have spoken to an intake person and I am waiting for a call back and I have never felt such anxiety and fear in my life! Anybody out there who has been through this waiting? How did you deal with it?
Old 12-15-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I haven't been through rehab, FixerUpper, but want to congratulate you on your decision and wish you the best. I hope you can think of this as a new beginning and the start of a happy and fulfilling sober life.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't go to rehab either, but it's great that you are taking steps to help yourself.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

My sister is in rehab she is 30+ days clean

She is happy and doing really well, I think this is a very wise decision and i commend you for it

congrats my friend
Old 12-15-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I admire your determination and courage. Try not to stress too much. The others there will be in the same boat as you. And the professionals are used to helping people in rehab.

You will be in good hands! Deep breaths, deep breaths!

Keep us posted when you come back! Rock on!
Old 12-15-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by FixerUpper View Post
I never knew what the concept of rock bottom was until last Saturday. 5:30 am. moment of truth with my wife. So the decision was made. I am checking into a program, hopefully in the next day or two. I have spoken to an intake person and I am waiting for a call back and I have never felt such anxiety and fear in my life! Anybody out there who has been through this waiting? How did you deal with it?

Glad you're here, Welcome friend!

No experience with this......many others here I am sure.
Was this your decision and are you going for yourself?????
These are important issues you'll discover.

Keep us posted and keep coming back!!
Kind Regards,
FlyN
Old 12-15-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. To answer Flynbuy, yes it was my decision. Fortunately my employer and family are very supportive. I think my issue is absolute fear of the unknown. I keep trying to meditate on this quote from the book Dune: “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”
Old 12-15-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great decision.... I went to a 28 day rehab back in 2006. I think I had to wait about 2-3 days until they had room for me. I was starting withdrawal, so my Dr. prescribed some meds for me until I got in the facility. I was amazed beyond my expectations of the care I received. I stayed sober for 4.5 yrs (longest since my teens) then had a few relapses because I let my guard down. But the rehab gave me some great tools for the battle, and also made some new sober friends. They keep you busy, I was up a 6:00 and in bed at 10:00, busy throughout the day with a few hrs open each day. The food wasn't bad either. Keep an open mind and soak in all the info. they give you. Be well and best wishes.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would love to go to rehab. I envy people that can go.
I can't leave my business and school right now, nor can I afford to go to one.
I would try to look forward to it rather than dread it.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I went to rehab last summer and have been sober since. If you can go it is a gift. Everyone there is scared and most of the staff have been patients at some time.

It was disruptive to my life. It inconvenienced my family and others, and because of that I take my sobriety very seriously. I think you get out of it what you put in. I took it seriously, but there were others there who saw it as vacation. Sadly, a lot of them had been before.

I am one and done. There was no denying the fact anymore that my drinking had affected my life when I ended up in a facility. I went because I thought it would help and it did. If you do go make this the beginning of your new life.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I went to outpatient and it was terrifying at first but you will quickly find that it is the place where you belong for the moment. Yes, look forward to it. They will help you lead the life that you are supposed to have not this insane one. Good luck!!
Old 12-15-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's a scary idea, but it's a good shot in the arm for sobriety. Go with an open mind and willingness. Learn all you can learn.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great decision
best wishes FixerUpper

D
Old 12-15-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I spent 35 days in rehab. It was great. Met many people from all walks of life and top professionals conducted the treatment very well. Inside there you can just forget about life's problems to focus on one thing: yourself. You will come out a better man, better husband, employee etc. Good luck!
Old 12-15-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Rehab is great, they clean you up to start your road to recovery. Unfortunely I never stayed sober after multiple rehab stints because when i left I wasn't truly working any program. I think deep down inside I still wanted to drink I just didn't want the consequences... but 2 firings, 2 duis, lost relationships, poor mental and physical health I can say in my dr Phil voice.." how's that working for u " to myself. Just relax and get yourself pumped up that your on your way to getting help. Don't worry about all the little nuances.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad you're giving yourself this new beginning. Great that you have support. I've never been either, but I've never heard anyone complain or say it was a waste of time - most have wonderful results.

Love the Dune quote.