Notices

Alcoholic tests

Old 12-14-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic tests

I sometimes go back and forth about the extent of my alcoholism and decided to do those little " am I an alcoholic" tests. My scores leave no doubt.... On every one I scored high on alcoholism. Quite high
Old 12-14-2014, 08:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Quite sobering, aren't they? I guess it doesn't matter to me how alcoholic I am. The longer I continued to drink, the more of those boxes I eventually could check off. I went from "I'm not that bad", continued drinking, to "gee, I am pretty bad."

For me I don't want to have to worry about what kind of drinker I am. I don't worry because I don't drink.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Quite sobering, aren't they? I guess it doesn't matter to me how alcoholic I am. The longer I continued to drink, the more of those boxes I eventually could check off. I went from "I'm not that bad", continued drinking, to "gee, I am pretty bad."

For me I don't want to have to worry about what kind of drinker I am. I don't worry because I don't drink.
Good thought! I'm new to admitting this, so I've been researching, but I suppose it doesn't matter does it? It always gets worse!!
Old 12-14-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It took me a very long time to admit it even after vaguely realizing I was an alcoholic. Rationally I knew I was but didn't want to stop so I kept looking at the lists. If I hadn't checked off a box I'd use that to justify continuing to drink.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The only boxes I didn't check off were " have you been institutionalized or hospitalized?" Also, "have you had legal problems due to alcohol?" And " do you drink daily?" So um...... That kinda helps put things into a clearer perspective.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Someone told me once that if I was taking a test to see if I was an alcoholic, I probably was. I wanted to punch that person! Lol. I guess it's not the worst disease to have...at least we know how to put it in "remission". How are you doing? You ok? I'm praying for you. :-)
Old 12-14-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Last online test I did, I scored 20 out of 20. It like those tests because it's me answering to myself in my head. I can't lie because I know the answers. Keeps things in perspective for me
Old 12-14-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Last online test I did, I scored 20 out of 20. It like those tests because it's me answering to myself in my head. I can't lie because I know the answers. Keeps things in perspective for me
Yeah the tests were helpful, I can rationalize things to myself sometimes, so I need to keep my perspective. My AV is quite charming
Old 12-14-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Someone told me once that if I was taking a test to see if I was an alcoholic, I probably was. I wanted to punch that person! Lol. I guess it's not the worst disease to have...at least we know how to put it in "remission". How are you doing? You ok? I'm praying for you. :-)
Oh I know I'm an alcoholic!! I was just looking because I tend to think " I'm not that bad yet"...... Clearly I've been deluding myself. Those tests as well as looking back on what I have been like with alcohol is actually very shocking and alarming!! How did I not see what a huge problem I had!!
I guess it takes a bit of learning and sober time to get a clear head.
I'm good, had a few bumps, but things are good and I feel confident in my future. Thanks for the prayers xoxo
How are you?!!!
Old 12-14-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I score incredibly high on those quizzes as well!
Old 12-14-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alcoholism seems to involve a lot of denial, at least initially; so chances are good that if you even suspect you may have a drinking problem that you've already got a much bigger problem than you realize. Acceptance can take time and it can help you focus on a plan and a way forward, but ultimately a label isn't as important as realizing that if there is any type of problem in your life with alcohol then that's enough reason to follow a plan to permanently remove alcohol from your life.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have taken those tests many times over the years. I always prided myself on the fact that I could answer no to the "Have you ever had a drink upon waking?" question. Other than that, I scored the maximum points.

Do you ever drink alone? LOL! Always loved that question. Were they kidding?!
Old 12-15-2014, 12:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
I'm new to admitting this, so I've been researching, but I suppose it doesn't matter does it? It always gets worse!!
To get a better idea about the process of becoming addicted and what happens over time once you quit, pick up a copy of Under the Influence by Robert Milam; it's about $8 new in paperback. It helped me to stay the course in early sobriety, knowing what I was experiencing was normal.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

I score high on them tests