Notices

Lied to my sponsor & feeling guilty.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lied to my sponsor & feeling guilty.

I'm sober 6 months from alcohol. I also use to abuse pain pills but alcohol was my DOC. I went to the hospital for pneumonia yesterday and ended up getting a prescription for a cough medicine with codeine in it. I talked to my sponsor this morning and mentioned I got cough medicine and told me to be careful because some of them have codeine in it. Then she asked me if I told them I couldn't take that and I said I did. I also told her I had other sober people with me which I did. This is what happened though. I mentioned I wondered if I would get codeine and one of the people I came with, who happens to be a nurse, said that that wasn't a good idea. They ended up going to get coffee and I got released. They ended up giving me a prescription for the codeine along with an antibiotic. The two women that brought and stayed with me at the hospital brought me to the pharmacy and I got my antibiotic. Then after they dropped me off, I went back to the pharmacy and got the cough medicine. I took it as prescribed and it didn't work and I wanted to take more so I threw it out because I felt like I was playing with fire. I don't know what to do now because I lied to her. I am worried if I tell her what actually happened she won't believe me and think I relapsed. I don't know what to do. I'm really scared she won't be able to trust anything I say now if I tell her but she always says we have to be rigorously honest.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would just come clean.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Just be honest. There is no possible good that can come from lying about it on any level. You dumped it out and its gone...just learn from it and move forward
Old 12-14-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Honesty for sure. Addicts lie. It is part of the disease. Any sponsor should expect it. Coming clean afterwords is a step forward.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Then be rigorously honest and tell her.
You're sabotaging your sobriety by not telling her. This will eat at you and you know it.
Do the right thing.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with Scott in this situation. Much depends on the circumstances in regards to using prescriptions and too many abuse the situation.
I was taught that we in the program are in general not medical people qualified to have knowledge in the advise department. However we do have a lot of experience seeing the results of abuse many people have.
This is a time where self honesty really comes into play.
I’ve over the years had prescriptions occasionally, many would love to have. Just the knowledge of them scared me and I used them as prescribed for a shorter period and they did what they were supposed to do and I wondered why they were so wanted as they gave me no “high” at all. My wife, a hospice nurse explained that they affect the pain part of the brain dulling the pain.

BE WELL
Old 12-14-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just be honest. Weve all done stuff like that. Be proud of yourself for throwing it out.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

If your sponsor knows the first thing about addicts, she knows that lying is second nature to us, and we don't change overnight. Honesty takes practice. Use this as an opportunity to grow.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

We are only as sick as our secrets