Notices

Sunday morning

Old 12-14-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sunday morning

Still sober. After sleeping 10 hours straight I got up, checked on the chickens, had coffee, went hiking, went to the store to buy some things for dinner and am about to go mail off some Christmas packages with my wife. I feel great. I say that without an exclamation point because I'm still slightly cautious about the concept of feeling "great". As an ex-drinker I'm used to everything crashing down at an instant and "great" being a state of mind that comes only on special occasions.

Last Friday the little booze voice in my head was whispering at me. I wasn't really going to drink, but it was there. I got home and in the mail was a flyer from a wine club offering a SUPER deal on 12 bottles of Spanish wine for only $60. "Act now and enjoy these wonderful Riojas with your loved ones during the holidays" type of marketing copy. I really wanted to get my checkbook out. They make it look so inviting. Of course I would have drank all 12 bottles by myself, in a matter of 3-4 days. And no one likes to be around me drunk so I would definitely be alone. So, no deal. I'm sticking to my guns and staying sober through the holidays.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Advertising, marketing, the media - they make drinking look so glamorous and cosmopolitan. Good job on no longer being a part of their 'target market'.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wish vodka commercials would show people throwing up into bowls and shaking so hard they can't drink water. Would be a better representation of what booze did for me.

I'm also wary of ever saying I feel "great". Its like tempting fate. I think you/I deserve to feel wonderful, though. This is a hard road.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done paloverde
Old 12-14-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Thanks for sharing and good job kicking that obnoxious voice to the curb!
Old 12-14-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I think maybe "great" really is a special occasion thing. We want to feel great all the time, of course, but I think sober life is more balanced than that.

And I'm with you on the marketing garbage. I live in California wine country, and it's absolutely ridiculous, everything is about wine. I agree with birdsatemyface - the ad should go more like "act now and you'll have enough wine to make a complete ass of yourself in front of your family and probably throw up somewhere totally inappropriate."
Old 12-14-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great stuff Paloverde!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 12-14-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job!

That advertisement would have stopped me short too, especially the Spanish wines. Great job playing the narrative out to the end.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Well done, Paloverde. Keep on keeping on
Old 12-14-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You have a great mind set, keep trucking!