Notices

Tips & Tricks

Old 08-04-2004, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Headed in the right direction.

Tips & Tricks

I have to give myself a pat on the back, I made it through this 3 day - out of town- (out of state) conference with several "triggers " and stayed sober these last few days with no slips.

I attended this business conference and was faced with several situations where, before, I'd drink....and I had to find new habits...a lot of them....all at once.

1) Airline flight - had to get diet coke - - and the flight back was delayed...so they offered FREE alcohol to people...and I still had to order diet Coke. UG...God was really challenging me.

2)Then there was free drink tickets at the business conference cocktail hour the first day. Plus a social situation where I normally needed a drink in my hand to "work the room" for business contacts. I found a glass of Sprite works as well as a glass of wine once did!

3) Then I was alone at the conference (no husband or son to remind me of what I had to live for) AND this place had a little liquor store on the premisis and a really cool looking vodka bar! I had to pass up BOTH.

4) then a dinner/dance at the end with free wine. UG! At the no host bar right before dinner, I was having cranberry juice in a wine glass and even the bartender said, "you sure you don't want a little wine in that??" - with a sly smile and a wink. I had to decline.

5) Throughout the evening, I had several busines contacts offer to buy me more wine - to refill my glass (not knowing it was cranberry juice) UG!!! God was challenging me over and over.

I held strong!!! I'm still sober! I AM committed. I will use that cranberry juice in the wine glass trick again. I could feel normal, and clearly nobody knew it was juice instead of blush wine. I felt successful, staying sober...appearing normal...just like everyone else. ha ha!!

Other tricks I used were wearing a long cross necklace inside my clothes to remind me of my hidden need for strength...the (alcoholic) weakness that only I knew about and therefore, I had to control.

I brought luxury bath products to treat myself so I could have a hot bubble bath to relax before the big dinners instead of a glass of wine.

I brought DVD movies to take up the lonely times when I was in my room alone.

Thanks for listening and I'd be interested in anyone else sharing their coping mechanisms, tips, & tricks for their tough times.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peace2u

WOW CARRIESUEBEE
You are a dear to share all of your new-found experience. Isn't it amazing how many people are drinking alcohol when one is working on sobriety?
It was an amazing testament to your commitment to stay clean. I'm proud of your individuality and refusal to go along with the crowd. I can definitely use the cranberry juice tip. Have a great day!

Old 08-05-2004, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done! and thanks for the advice. I often (always!) find myself so stressed out about these sort of occasions that I have a few drinks for courage beforehand. I then drink all night and wake up cringing, thinking about what I might have said and done.
You must feel so proud to have behaved well all night.
Zule
Old 08-05-2004, 06:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

CarrieSueBee
Thank you so much for sharing your strength with us here; I'm so proud of you for getting through a very difficult 3 days. It DOES get easier.
Whatever works for you is great, but I personally could not carry a wine glass around, even if it were just juice. It would be too much of a trigger for me, this early on in sobriety. I have been at weddings where the booze flowed freely and I just carried around a nice tall glass of orange and cranberry juice - lovely. Some people asked what I was drinking, and why didn't I want some wine .. I simply said 'I don't drink' and gave an enigmatic smile.
The bath products and DVD's are a great idea! Keep coming back we need you here!
God Bless
Love Rowan
Old 08-05-2004, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sweet!! In our area we call those Faith Building Experiences. Glad it worked out!
Old 08-05-2004, 08:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Way to go, sounds like you have the determination and strength it takes!
Old 08-05-2004, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Headed in the right direction.

Thanks all for your support. I agree ((Rowan)) skip the wine glass if it is a trigger. I hesitated doing the wine glass thing in the first place, too easy for a refill of real wine. But as I saw others getting "sauced" It seemed easier for me to stay sober...it was...entertaining. Funny (or NOT REALLY) I used to be the person doing the entertaining. :-( I sincerely appreciate your support ((ALL)).
Old 08-05-2004, 08:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Good for you CarrieSueBee!!! Great tips...I'll have to put them to use next time I'm in the same siuation. It's tough when your alone and alcohol is the "normal" part of travel. You deserve a big kudos!!!!

Talia
Old 08-05-2004, 09:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I do believe we are lucky to be alcoholics in 2004! I think society in general is more accepting of people that choose not to drink - look around, there are plenty that do not drink at most functions.

Business trips and out of town seminars spelled trouble for me in the past. I go to Vegas a few times a year and talk about temptation!!

The best tip I have that works for me (and Rowan) is to tell people I do not drink. I have not had a drink in ten months and it makes me feel great to be at a social function and not drink!

It may sound crazy, but I get a "natural" high now just having a good time, being in control, having genuine emotions and avoiding the dreaded hangover. I just saw Eric Clapton in concert and really enjoyed the event - sober!

Carrie, my drink of choice was wine, but I typically drank when I was alone. Maybe this is why those social events don't bother me as much?

About the only other tip I have is to use the workout facility at the hotel - this may also take your mind off drinking.

Take care all,

Dave