Notices

big step...

Old 12-13-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

big step...

Well last night I was waiting at motherinlaws as I was driving hubby and friend to and from drunken night out..... don't know why but I blurted out to her.....'I've stopped drinking'..... Well that's it, it's out there now...Can't decide if I'm stressed or relieved?!
I guess at least it makes things clear before Christmas. ?....
Mmmm best not over think this as that's bad for me.
Am struggling with HALT as it is today. ?...
Will keep you guys close
Xxx
Old 12-13-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Petals...I totally understand your mixed feelings but I think it's a good thing! It's out there...so, pressures off for Christmas, plus it kind of adds another layer of accountability. I think it can only serve to strengthen your resolve of putting your sobriety first.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey petals-

I also think it's a good thing to let others know that you no longer drink. I don't mean you have to let the world know that it was a problem per se, but only that you've decided to stop drinking (for whatever reason).

In my case, I was known for being a heavy drinker, so I sort of had it easy when it came to letting people know. I mean if I mentioned that I no longer drink, I don't think there was any question as to why. I almost feel like people are thinking that it's about time that I did.

Either way, good for you. There's no reason at all to feel "stressed" about improving yourself, whether people get it or not. In fact, you should feel proud.

Lusher
Old 12-13-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
Petals...I totally understand your mixed feelings but I think it's a good thing! It's out there...so, pressures off for Christmas, plus it kind of adds another layer of accountability. I think it can only serve to strengthen your resolve of putting your sobriety first.
This ^^^^

What did MIL say ? Was she impressed ?
Old 12-13-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

She just sort of stood there and looked at me.... then I had to go and collect drunken hubby
Am seeing her tomorrow. ... hope it goes ok.xx
Old 12-13-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Petals - I felt so much better once I came out with it. The anxiety over the whole thing seemed less. Hope it works out well when you see her again tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ditto on what Hevyn said. I don't make a secret about it to my family. Do you have reason to be concerned about your mother in law? I find that people are supportive but they may feel a little awkward so if you sense anything it most likely is that the information is being processed. People don't know what it means. They don't know whether to say "that's great! Good for you" or "I'm sorry." If you have a good relationship with someone, it's helpful to let them know you are okay, that you are doing well, and tell them how they can help.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a step forward for you petals - well done

D
Old 12-13-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree: telling folks is a big step. It is a way to get it out there in the open that there is an issue. I also find that it helps enforce my decision not to drink.For example, I told a friend whose family I was spending Thanksgiving with that I wasn't drinking. It gave me that extra pressure not to.

Christmas with my family will be a test for me, for sure.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done petal