Me again

Old 08-04-2004, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Me again

I have a question, does anyone else in here get like a rock gut feeling in their stomach before they go home. I get all nervous kind of because I dont want to have to deal with my hubby drinking. As I mentioned before, he does not get drunk all the time like before, but I get so upset that he could even drink 1 drink after all the crap (hospitals) in the last year. He says he knows he cannot drink but to me the he cannot shake the urge. I just dont like that feeling I get. I am a worry freak as it is so I was just curious if anyone else here is in the same kinda situation.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wolflvr,

I get that feeling all the time. Sometimes it's like I'm two different people, calm at work, and a nervous wreck when I'm pulling up to the house. I'm very new at this, but one thing I do is keep a vase of flowers on the kitchen table. I always go right to that when I come in so I have something nice to look at. I've also left the house again if my husband is drinking or taking narcotics - I don't want to deal with it. I used to think it was avoidance, but it's not. It's keeping me in a healthy place. Even if you go out for a cup of coffee. I remember one counselor was motified when I told him I didn't feel safe in my own house - there has never been physical abuse (which I think he immediately thought) but sometimes emotional and psychological abuse can be just as bad. I'm thinking of you.

((((hugs))))
Cheryl
Old 08-04-2004, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Sure I get obsessive. That is one of the main reasons I got involved with Al-Anon. I couldn't shut it off. I needed help. Al-Anon teaches us tools to change our thinking. Looking at myself and being honest about my character was hard, but living with that rock in my gut was harder. Meetings, sponsorship, reading, phone calls, these are the things that have helped me to gain serenity. I still get that feeling, but it is much rarer than I could have ever imagined. Hugs, Magic
Old 08-04-2004, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Coming here has helped me so much with that awful feeling! I use to HATE the sound of a beer can opening. Now when I hear it I know the result will still be him drunk once again but I am dealing with it alot better. When he starts his name calling I just try to agree or simply say nothing and walk away. Yes I still have my moments with tears but I am getting stronger one day at a time. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. This saying as a kid was easier......even though children can be so cruel. I never thought I would grow up and marry a man that could hurt me with his words.I have more work to be done but each time he is like that he is drunk and the disease takes over the person. The evil of alcoholism......I turn to my HP for strength all the time.Keep coming back!!!!

Hugs and Prayers,
matters