Notices

The ELUSIVE day 5!

Old 12-11-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The ELUSIVE day 5!

I made it! I made it over that freaking 4 day hump! I have slipped up on day 3 or 4 for the past year since my relapse. I am not over confident (will NEVER be over confident about this lethal disease!) but I'm relieved that I got past day 4! I was seriously about to give up!

What I did different this time: (in no particular order)
1. Took some time off work to focus 100% on my sobriety and saving my life.
2. Got an AA sponsor & contact her daily
3. Have gone to an AA meeting every day
4. Avoid stress as much as possible
5. self-care (rest, sleep, eat, be kind to myself)
6. Pray
7. read recovery material
8. SR
9. contact lots of new AA friends thru text or phone
10. Have hung on for dear life at times! It's been HARD!

What I have felt like: CRAP!
1. Tired
2. varying degrees of nausea
3. ANXIETY!
4. light headed
5. head aches
6. stomach issues
7. FEAR of the beast (alcohol) trying to "get me"! I have had a few cravings but got through them with the help of new AA friends, prayer and SR.

ANY TIPS ON EARLY RECOVERY SYMPTOMS? Especially ANXIETY???

Thanks for all of your support!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good nutrition, plenty of fluids, workouts, and Ice Cream!!!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Serindad well done on getting to day five

If I get overwhelmed with anxiety I just sit down on the floor and just breathe! I've found over the years that this works better than stressing myself out trying to do yoga or meditating or jogging or a million other things that can help. I love these things but when I'm really really anxious just sitting and breathing is the only thing I can manage and you know what,I've found that this works incredibly well, it's so simple and effective. Hope this helps a bit . Peace X
Old 12-11-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go, Serenidad; I am so happy for you.

The symptoms you are experiencing should ease/subside with time. Be very gentle with yourself; take warm baths; sip soothing warm drinks (hot cocoa was my go to); read; get some gentle exercise; have you tried meditative yoga? I satisfied cravings with sweets.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hooray for making it over the hump--that is awesome.

By the way, may I recommend Dreyer's peppermint ice cream? Just had some...man, it is good!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hooray for making it over the hump! Second SoberLeigh's recommendations. And, to add my own: have you tried Dreyer's Peppermint ice cream yet. Man, it is the bomb!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I forgot to mention that I quit smoking at the same time I quit drinking. They trigger each other so I had to. I only smoked when to drank anyway....but still hard. Ugh.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Whoops...sorry for the double post...but that ice cream really isn't to be missed.

And you quit smoking too? Wow!! I'm impressed! Love, by the way, your list/inventory. I find that these lists really cultivate an awareness that helps keep me going!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 5 Serenidad
Old 12-11-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 5! If weather permits, try taking a walk to help with the anxiety. Or relax in a warm bubble bath with soothing music. When I'm anxious, I slow down and try to take measures to take care of myself.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Have you looked into the Midwest Center for Anxiety program for your anxiety? Are you seeing a therapist? Those were my suggestions to you based on what you've mentioned about your PTSD and anxiety symptoms. I also previously mentioned the techniques of distraction, substitution, and urge surfing (mindfulness).
Old 12-11-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Nice! I'm sure you feel really encouraged Serenidad. You are doing this.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hot showers and walks help me.

Good job on 5 days.. its hard quitting cigs and the booze. Im day 3 off cigs myself and its been hard today.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Serenidad- Nice job hitting the five days!
ANY TIPS ON EARLY RECOVERY SYMPTOMS? Especially ANXIETY???
I'm a huge proponent of cardio for the anxiety, as I may have mentioned in the past. I think it leads to more sounder sleep, which in turn can ease the mind. At least it did for me. Whatever it does, it seems to really help.

Again, nice job with the five days!

Lusher
Old 12-11-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Way to go, serenidad!
Old 12-11-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Question, is it a good idea to quit both cigarettes and alcohol at the same time? Isn't that just too hard? Anyway, good luck to you Serenidad! You're a better person than me....
Old 12-11-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hopeful2013 View Post
Question, is it a good idea to quit both cigarettes and alcohol at the same time? Isn't that just too hard? Anyway, good luck to you Serenidad! You're a better person than me....
Hi Hope, it's definitely hard to quit both at the same time but I really only smoked when I drank anyway. I quit both at the same time in 2008 when I had 5 & 1/2 years sober before my relapse in October of 2013.

Alcohol and nicotine work on the same pleasure center of the brain. Both cravings feel very similar. Studies have shown that nicotine increases alcohol cravings too. So....yes....for me, it's a good idea to quit both at the same time. They trigger eachother. They go together for me like peanut butter and jelly. Haha.

I would say for most people it's better to quit drinking first...then cigarettes after you have some sober time, but for me....I have to do both at the same time. If you can quit both at the same time...bonus!

The nicotine is 100% out of your system in 72 hours and the rest is all habit and mental. :-) I've got a LONG way to go one day, one hour, one minute and sometimes one second at a time.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peacehappyness View Post
Hi Serindad well done on getting to day five If I get overwhelmed with anxiety I just sit down on the floor and just breathe! I've found over the years that this works better than stressing myself out trying to do yoga or meditating or jogging or a million other things that can help. I love these things but when I'm really really anxious just sitting and breathing is the only thing I can manage and you know what,I've found that this works incredibly well, it's so simple and effective. Hope this helps a bit . Peace X
Thanks Peace! Sounds simple enough! I like simple! Breathing sounds like a great idea! Haha
Old 12-11-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Way to go, Serenidad; I am so happy for you. The symptoms you are experiencing should ease/subside with time. Be very gentle with yourself; take warm baths; sip soothing warm drinks (hot cocoa was my go to); read; get some gentle exercise; have you tried meditative yoga? I satisfied cravings with sweets.
I haven't tried yoga but I definitely want to!!!
Old 12-11-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
Hooray for making it over the hump! Second SoberLeigh's recommendations. And, to add my own: have you tried Dreyer's Peppermint ice cream yet. Man, it is the bomb!
No I haven't tried that ice cream but I will! Mmmmm!!!