Notices

Checking in

Old 12-11-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in

Hello all!

I just though I would check in and update everyone on how things are going.

I had a couple of slips since last week. The fortunate thing about it is that I actually managed to catch myself pretty quickly (by the second beer) and kept myself from binging. That's been my big problem,resisting the binge. I am still striving to abstain completely, with my family being my primary motivation. I stayed sober all last weekend which was amazing! Hoping to stay sober this weekend as well. I have a book I am trying to finish reading, plus we are taking the kids to visit Santa this weekend too. My sister will be in town so that's something I'm looking forward to as well. Can't very well have a productive weekend while being hungover, so I hope I have just as much sucess as I had last weekend!

Oh! I discovered a great tea for all you who are trying to stay away fromcaffeine. It's called Roastaroma and it's from Celestial Seasonings, and it's amazing! The smell is absolutely heavenly and it has a great hearty flavor that is a great way to awaken the senses first thing in the morning. I love coffee but tend to stay away from it In the afternoon. This is a great alternative (I don't see the point in decaf coffee lol)

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week! Stay warm (and dry)!
Old 12-11-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks, MCAL; I will keep Roastaroma in mind for my next shopping trip. I don't drink coffee in the afternoon either.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Love that tea! It gives you the "feel" of coffee without the caffeine.

I have had a couple close calls myself, although I haven't had a drink yet. When you look back at those moments, does any pattern emerge? Sometimes I find it useful to think about those triggers so I can be better prepared next time.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Matilda, I have noticed the slips happening towards the end of the day during my children's "witching hour". They're cranky and exhausted, and my son is starting to phase out of naps, so he is extra irritable. It is at that point where my husband comes home and I am just so done with the day that all I want to do is cook dinner and have a drink. A few days this week I managed to cook with a cup of tea in hand, but a couple of days I was at wits end and ended up opening up a cold one. Fortunately I caught myself pretty quickly (before I would pop one open and drink at least 6 or 7 through the course of the evening) I'm thinking about logging on during those times, maybe perusing SR while cooking may help me a bit, cause the evening meal tends to be the times when I am really vulnerable.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

You can do this Mcal keep trying
Old 12-11-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have that witching hour too, and I don't even have kids

Sometimes, just thinking through our triggers can be helpful. Is there a way you could make that time of the day easier for yourself? For example, Mondays are my difficult days (lots of meetings with difficult people). Before, i would rush into the house at the end of Monday and pour myself a glass of wine even before I had my coat off!

Now, I try to think of ways to make those days better with little treats. I also make sure that I have something cooking in the crockpot and/or pull something out of the freezer so that I don't have to think about cooking. Could you do something similar? Could you do your cooking on the weekends and freeze things so you don't have to think about food prep? Could your husband help with cooking and/or the kids while you cook? Pushing myself is a definite trigger (not to mention cranky family).