Notices

Behind relapses info

Old 12-11-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Behind relapses info

Posted around 11/30/11

[QUOTE=doggonecarl]I consider a relapse to be any deviation from sobriety. Some folks differentiate between a slip--which might be just a single drink--and a relapse--full blown return to drinking. It's a matter of degree. I prefer to view them the same way. And in my opinion they aren't okay. Considering a relapse a part of recovery is license to drink again. Relapses are part of addiction, not recovery.

And there is also a danger to relapsing. I posted the following in a thread yesterday and think it bears repeating because there seems to be a degree of careless disregard to relapse by some. Here is what I posted:
-----------------------------
You should know that the more you relapse the worse the withdrawals can become. It is called the kindling effect. This from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism:

"In many alcoholics, the severity of withdrawal symptoms increases after repeated withdrawal episodes. This exacerbation may be attributable to a kindling process. Kindling is a phenomenon in which a weak electrical or chemical stimulus, which initially causes no overt behavioral responses, results in the appearance of behavioral effects, such as seizures, when it is administered repeatedly. Both clinical and experimental evidence support the existence of a kindling mechanism during alcohol withdrawal. Withdrawal symptoms, such as seizures, result from neurochemical imbalances in the brain of alcoholics who suddenly reduce or cease alcohol consumption. These imbalances may be exacerbated after repeated withdrawal experiences. The existence of kindling during withdrawal suggests that even patients experiencing mild withdrawal should be treated aggressively to prevent the increase in severity of subsequent withdrawal episodes. Kindling also may contribute to a patient’s relapse risk and to alcohol-related brain damage and cognitive impairment."

Lot of science jargon, but it summarizes the danger. Relapses are NOT part of recovery. They are part of the addiction. They occur, but I hope you and anyone reading who is struggling with relapse will consider the risks and ramp up your recovery accordingly.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you
Old 12-11-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, thank you.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you!
Old 12-11-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

The most views of any thread - over 500,000
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lly-again.html
Old 12-11-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I like to keep it simple: there is drinking or there is sobriety. I always do a double blink when someone decides to quit and 6 days later they've had their third relapse.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If I stay sober just 4 more years I will tip the scale to having more sober adulthood than drunk. The math gets funny if I were to drink. Staying sober is easier.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
I like to keep it simple: there is drinking or there is sobriety. I always do a double blink when someone decides to quit and 6 days later they've had their third relapse.

They are moderating their sobriety
Old 12-11-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

For me, it's a relief to not be able to drink.
It's clear cut and simple.

But for many years I quit, relapsed, quit, relapsed.

I hope to never forget how I struggled with that when helping someone who keeps relapsing.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That explains it!thank you!
Old 12-11-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't think any deviation from sobriety is "okay". Carl considers any deviation from sobriety to be a relapse. I do not.

I experience an "event" which I deem a "lapse"..which is defined as a temporary failure of concentration, memory, or judgment.

A relapse is to fall back into former practice or fall back into illness after apparent recovery.

For me, the distinction is necessary...and that is for ME, because this is MY recovery.

I certainly understand the danger and severity of bringing booze to one's lips for any reason and any time...hence the need for fire and brimstone pulpit pounding definitions and heated discussions bout ...relapse or slips or what have you...

Just bear in mind, we need to get people BACK too..and we need to keep them there. I do not support anything that relegates folks to the eternally damned.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That explains a lot, I was thinking it had something to do with the amount of alcohol consumed during a binge/relapse and was confused why my latest withdrawal was so terrible. I had consumed that amount before and not had nearly as bad of a detox.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

maybe its a perspective thing.

The more time I'm sober the more I realise how deadly serious my situation was.
The more I'm grateful to be alive, the less I'm inclined to give semantic wriggle room to drinking again.

Relapses are bad (mmok) cos they represent the undead addiction rearing its ugly head and waving its tentacles about like a 1940s movie monster.

It's not a good thing.

But...the movie never ends there

The monster is always defeated.

I think we owe the newcomer to share that side of the main feature too...

I think maybe sometimes we forget to do that?

D
Old 12-11-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

From my viewpoint, relapses are a serious matter in that it means the addictive behaviour has not been successfully quelled yet. However, if the individual is: persistent in becoming sober; willing to re-examine their recovery plan; and ramp up or add-on additional elements and support to achieve sobriety, then I would have nothing but support and compassion for that individual. However, if the relapse is seen merely as a minor blip without reflection or review, then its time for some tough love !
Old 12-11-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Take it from a guy who just finished up a five day bender 24 hours ago- the withdrawals associated with relapse are no joke. I'm tired of feeling beat down for two days while I'm coming off a drunk. And the same associated acts that go along with drinking that has everybody wondering whether or not I'm sober. It's why this time I joined this website, and reached out to a childhood friend with whom I reconnected through AA. Reaching out for help is a huge step for me, as it is for many alcoholics. But now I'm accountable to him and it's what I need. I know I'm capable of sobriety because I've had some time previously.