Life is so precious

Old 12-10-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life is so precious

Hi everyone, I hope all is well with you all. Things have been ok with me. I'm sober and getting by. AD on the other hand is in the hospital. She OD'd 11 days ago. Barely lived. Got a blood infection. It went to her heart and lungs. She left the hospital twice against medical advice because she said withdraw was to bad. It's been the hardest thing I've ever delt with and the saddest thing to see someone you love go through. She's back in the hospital now. They want her to do 6 weeks IV antibiotic treatment. She's agreed to it, because it's the only way she will live. I hope and pray she sticks to it. I really pray this is rock bottom and she gets it together. Any words of advice?
Old 12-10-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
p***enger

My heart goes out to you, Waterfalls. I don't know what support you regularly get, but this is a time to be making phone calls and sticking close to your program, leaning on the support or just the company of others who understand alcoholism & addiction. Including SR. We're here for you!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I agree, your daughter is in good hands and I pray she stays put while they treat her.

It is a good time for you to wrap yourself in ongoing support, through meetings and through SR and family and friends who can help you.

It is so sad to watch our children self-destruct and this may be just what your daughter needs to turn her life around.

Hugs
Old 12-11-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My advise would be to illicit the help of the hospital social worker and explain to them the depth of her addiction if they don't already understand that. And to try and get their help with some sort of inpatient help when she is done w/her treatment. If she finishes it, she will be past withdraws and may have a more clear head than when she is drugged out.

I am so sorry. I cannot even imagine how painful this is. Keep to your own sobriety, it is the best thing you can do for yourself or for her.

XXX
Old 12-12-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am glad that she is in the hospital and safe...I hope she stays there as long as it is supposed to take to help her.

God Bless...prayers going your way and your daughters.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
happy, joyous an free!

hi waterfalls, congrats on what 6 months sober?! hang on to that with everything you've got hon. i'm a double winner - recovering alcoholic and recovering codependent and what i know for certain is i have to put my recovery first or all is lost.

i almost lost many years recovery a couple of months ago because i was putting my priority on my son's addiction. wasn't helping him a bit. in fact i think it made his situation harder.

your daughter is where she needs to be. my son went to the hospital with blood infection a few months ago and is still struggling with it. at that time i told the er he was an addict. it is necessary that they know. i really struggled with the decision. he should have told them himself and/or they should have known..... but for my sanity and his safety i finally told them.

detaching with love is what i do for my son. it is his struggle just as my recovery is mine. i let him know he's loved and i will support recovery but he has to step up. he has to want it. have you read codependent no more? very helpful. if you do AA the big book chapters - for the wives and for the families - are also very helpful.

hang in there. it's soooo hard to see our adult children poison themselves and live in addiction. it sounds like you have gone above and beyond trying to help her turn things around. i've had to learn a new way. working my recovery, detaching with love, stepping away - extremely hard for us parents.

so glad you're here with this amazing SR family. it has helped save my sanity. do something nice for yourself tonight. you're not alone.....
Old 12-12-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with Hopeful about working with the hospital social worker. I'm not clear if the 6week treatment in ongoing inpatient care at the hospital or not. I know this was quite a scare for you. Is it possible to enlist the care of psychiatrists if she is inpatient, or have her tranferred to a floor where she can also work on the underlying factors causing her infection? for example, the fact that she almost OD'd and then left the hospital during treatment could make a case as to whether or not she is a danger to herself and would therefore need psychiatric intervention/observation and at the least counseling. I know this sounds painful, but it may be a way to get her some sort of recovery and counseling while she is already there. Hospital social workers can be very resourceful and helpful. I will pray she sees the light and that you can get some rest while she is taken care of in the hospital