Notices

Home for the Holidays

Old 12-10-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Home for the Holidays

Who doesn't love that movie?

Anyway, I didn't go home for Thanksgiving. I had a turkey hoagie from Wawa that my dad described as "the saddest thing ever."

True. Very true.

But I'm going home for Christmas. It's about five hours away, on a mountain that doesn't get cell reception, and it's going to be awesome. My dad doesn't drink anymore, and since I'm seeing him first I'm kind of looking at the experience as affordable version of rehab.

There's nothing like going back to your childhood town/home/whatever to put things into perspective. Even at 38, when I go there, I feel like a kid again. I feel the pressure and nagging anxiety of being a bullseye for bullies, but what I don't think about is drinking.

I think about biking as far as I can and calling my sister to pick me up somewhere across the VA state line. I think about that creepy diner we - the theater nerds - hung out at until 4am that looked like something from Twin Peaks.

It's an awesome place to be, where I'm not consumed with alcohol, but with the person I used to be. As much as I love Philadelphia, the rut of a routine is part of the problem. Being away from reasons to drink, the living room I drink in, it changes me. I'm looking forward to passing out on the couch eating pistachios and watching Scrooged.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

enjoy your trip philly, we'll keep you in our thoughts.

I hope is was the one with the stuffing, cranberry and fixins on the bread at least. Never had the guts to try one myself. Drove into philly today. expway was nuts at 3 o'clock already on the way out.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Aw! I really like this post!
Enjoy your holiday!!!
Old 12-14-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
enjoy your trip philly, we'll keep you in our thoughts.

I hope is was the one with the stuffing, cranberry and fixins on the bread at least. Never had the guts to try one myself. Drove into philly today. expway was nuts at 3 o'clock already on the way out.
LOL the Schuylkill would be nuts at 3am on a Wednesday. My family here says it's been a mess since the 60s. I'm hoping I don't have to deal with it in my next job.

Yeah, it was the holiday hoagie. It was pretty gross :P
Old 12-14-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

I wish you peace and contentment on your Christmas trip, Philly
Old 12-28-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Home for the holidays was a success. I always forget that going back home is not nearly as relaxing as you remember it being. Lots of driving, trying to get quality time with as many people as possible. But I managed to resist the urge to drink.

Complete with the night sweats and anxiety that come with it.

I also managed to get away each day to run or hike. Support is amazing when you need it, but for me, I need just as much alone time or I get anxious and want to drink. I did a four mile trail run around a lake on Christmas day and felt like a freakin' superhero. If anyone actually reads my posts on here I probably sound like a broken record, but I can't say enough how much exercise cleans the gunk out of my head.

2014 has been both the worst and best year of my life, and I feel like I'm closing it out the absolute best way possible. I haven't looked at the future with so much fear and excitement since I graduated college. It's terrifyingly beautiful.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job on pushing through!!
Old 12-28-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Philly76, great news on your holiday venture. And I wholeheartedly agree with the exercise philosophy. I was a pretty good triathlete, even when binge drinking the past few years, so now with some clean living am super excited about the 2015 race season. Being an exercise / endorpin junkie isn't such a bad fate ? :-) Have a great New year !!! MJM
Old 12-28-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HOUMJM View Post
Philly76, great news on your holiday venture. And I wholeheartedly agree with the exercise philosophy. I was a pretty good triathlete, even when binge drinking the past few years, so now with some clean living am super excited about the 2015 race season. Being an exercise / endorpin junkie isn't such a bad fate ? :-) Have a great New year !!! MJM
I couldn't agree more. I haven't been this fit since high school. I can't wait to see how I look and feel after a few months of clean living. I'm totally going to be that annoying Facebook friend who's constantly posting gym check-ins and bicep selfies :P