Notices

Advice please

Old 12-10-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice please

I'm thinking of quitting my night job dealing blackjack. I love it, but with university and my business, I kind of feel I need to take some rest and focus on staying sober. I really enjoy that job, but it's really the only thing that can go.
Do you think it's a good idea to rest and focus on sobriety, or stay busy working? The job ends at 3 am, so I don't get into bed till about 4 am, gotta get up, go to business and school in the day :/
I'm torn, plus the money is good....but I can survive without the money too
Old 12-10-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

What are you doing now for your sobriety?

I think it is different for everyone. I needed to stay busy but part of my busy was working the steps and now it is with working the steps with someone else and working out. And work. If only we could give up work, huh?

My point is, if you aren't in a structured program that is requiring the time and this makes you happy, why not stick with it? Can you do less hours?
Old 12-10-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yes, focus on your sobriety

stay well friend
Old 12-10-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know for me, cutting back to allow myself time to rest, was really important. Balance is important to me in recovery. If you can afford to give up the job, it might be worth serious consideration.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's worth noting that one of the most prevalent things happening in a card room is drinking. Obviously you wouldn't be as a dealer, but the with the sights, sounds, patron boisterousness and so on, it may spark up a craving on you.

I know I've often considered leaving the food service industry to make it easier on myself, as I have to promote a rather large list of beers (and know each one), and industry people tend to want to go out together after a long shift.

Environment can be part of it. Just food for thought.
You'll make a good decision for whatever works for you, though!
Good luck!
Old 12-10-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tamerua View Post
What are you doing now for your sobriety?

I think it is different for everyone. I needed to stay busy but part of my busy was working the steps and now it is with working the steps with someone else and working out. And work. If only we could give up work, huh?

My point is, if you aren't in a structured program that is requiring the time and this makes you happy, why not stick with it? Can you do less hours?
I am busy even without the job, I just like cards a lot, though I rarely play myself, I like the atmosphere.
I work all day at my business, attend classes and study.
The thing is my sobriety plan is scattered, I sometimes go to AA, I come here, read about alcoholism. That's why I think I might need to quit the job. Get structured and kind of take it easy. This is my first real attempt at sobriety.
Not sure what I'm doing exactly, other than trying to incorporate things I learn from others, trying to find my way. Though, I love not drinking, and I love that I FINALLY realized I can't drink ever. It's a relief. The confusion, cutting back, moderating, blacking out, wondering if I'm an alcoholic or not...... It was too much, just too much.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Ah, gotcha. Then I would quit and focus on a less scattered plan, whatever that may be.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

If you're achieving sobriety now, then I don't see any reason to quit your job, unless you think it's endangering your efforts. Not everyone who stays sober 'works' at it. Sometimes it just clicks.
Personally I didn't work a program, but it's an individual thing. If you think you need to do that to stay sober, then go for it.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You have to do what's important for you. I have heard "sobriety needs to come first". And that makes sense to me now when it didn't before. If you drink again, you could lose your business, education and much more. If you feel you need a more solid plan, more time in AA, then do just that. Work on you! Everything else will fall into place.

Jennifer
Old 12-11-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Extra income is always a plus,
however,
rest is invaluable, especially in the early
stages of sobriety.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi.
This is a common situation. In the old days ask this to an oldtimer the answer is quick and to the point. “the #1 in an alcoholics life is to remain sober by concentrating on being sober THEN pay attention to other things.” The reasoning is that if we stay sober the rest of our needs will fall into place, if we drink all other bets are off because there is no guarantee we can get sober again. Too many who relaps can’t make it back for sustained sobriety.

Unfortunately that was true years ago as it is today.

BE WELL
Old 12-11-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Tiredness is a massive trigger for me and I personally couldn't go to bed at 4 and be functioning well the next day. I have worked shifts for years and always worked overtime so always ran at a deficit. I would reward my hard work with a few glasses ( bottles) of wine. I know you feel pretty solid and enjoy your job but I sense something is niggling at you? My vote would be to invest in your sobriety if you really don't need the money.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Jsbodhi,
Hi friend. Is your gut leaning you one way or the other? It's a tough one, especially if you like the job. My take would be that if you think it may jeopardize your sobriety, you should consider giving it up. But if you really enjoy it and it keeps you busy -- maybe keep doing it but less days/week? Best of luck, whatever you decide!
Old 12-11-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Casionos are not healthy places for addicts to be in