Notices

Some advice for Days 2-5 (and onward)

Old 12-10-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some advice for Days 2-5 (and onward)

Hi friends; just wanted to share some things that have helped me in the early days of recovery both from a mental, physical, and emotional standpoint.

First and foremost, don't try to eat right away. Get yourself hydrated first. For one, you're probably lacking an appetite and the nausea may be hitting you hard. The water will allay that. Slowly and steadily over the course of a few hours, get that water in you.

The second reason that this is important is that your body is not going to be producing the appropriate amount of saliva stomach acid. This is hypochlorhydria - your water is right now being used for all absolutely essential functions - your sweat and urine, your blood, and your brain. It sacrifices non-essential things like saliva and stomach acid to get you through the worst of it. Half of your digestion is done in the saliva and stomach... trying to throw some food into a dehydrated body is only going to exacerbate those digestive problems. (And we all know that when you vomit it back up or it goes right through you, you're only making your dehydration even worse.)

Okay, now that you're peeing clear (hopefully). Eat. Just a bite of something. Maybe you're not hungry yet. Maybe the last thing you even want to think about is food for a day or two... but you're malnourished, and even that one bite will kickstart your metabolic processes and help you burn out poison and regain metabolic equilibrium. I have found in my experience, also, that forcing that first bite brings back legitimate growing appetite much sooner than just starving yourself until you're 'hungry enough'.

Also worth noting, if your liver and pancreas aren't working right digestion is still troublesome. Consult with a doctor to see if they can recommend a natural supplement like ox bile, to make the digestive chemicals that they're a little reserved on right now too. It's a useful and safe natural item, but certainly ask them beforehand.

Okay, now onto the emotional/mental stuff!

It's remarkable to me how many people fall into the pit when they're drinking - and this might not be everyone but I think many can identify with - of letting just about everything fall to pieces one by one and the last thing you want to do when the anxiety and the aches and nausea are digging you in the side is fix it.

That's okay! You shouldn't have to. Don't think about it as one whole picture. If you go around a room trying to pick up all the pieces of a broken vase at once and cradle it in one arm, you're likely to keep dropping more pieces and breaking them further.

Start small. Perhaps you were the alcoholic who gave up on hygiene and hasn't showered in a week. Start there. Get that stinky acetaldehyde sweat off you, scrub up, wash that hair. YES, USE SHAMPOO. Condition, too. Treat yourself.

Now go lay in bed and relax. You took a great step there.

Then, do one small thing more each day during the early days. Get rid of that overflowing recycle bin with the bottles and cans, and wipe down a countertop. No, don't look at the overflowing sink of dishes, let's not go crazy here. You'll stress yourself out and you don't need stress when your stress response is to drink.

Tomorrow, do three small things. You will be impressed with how quickly you build momentum and how much better and more accomplished you feel with each passing day. By the end of a week, your house will be spotless, your acute withdrawal will be behind you, and you made a great, great accomplishment so much more easy on yourself. Imagine this - what if you laid around for the week, left all that stuff because you 'didn't feel up to it', and then you are finally through the worst of it, get up and look around at everything you need to do and... it's just too much to do all at once... problems can arise there, and they can quickly.

Now that the week's over, it doesn't stop here. Do one thing every day! Arrange that spice rack that you've been putting off. Go see a movie with that actor you like. Movies can be expensive, but hey think of all the money you saved last week.

Write that story. Read that book. Go on that walk, or that date, or get that gym membership.

And don't stop. Go and go and go.

Write a checklist of things you want to accomplish with your life before you start this journey. Revise it once sobriety has really settled it, and then work on one thing each and every day. By the end of the year you'll be so far into your new life it will blow your mind.

Keep a list each day, too, of one thing about your old life that you despised and one thing about your new life that you love, are proud of, or are looking forward to.

If this list helps even one person, my time spent writing it was worth it.
*checks this post off his list*
Old 12-10-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good list and good suggestions. If I may be so bold as to add some that have helped me:

Exercise during your normal "drinking time" is incredibly helpful to clear your head.

Talk to your Dr early and often.

Ask Dr about supplements, vitamins, etc to help with the detox process

and most importantly: STAY POSITIVE!
Old 12-10-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi.

I like the expression KISS because I can complicate brushing my teeth.

The one that always work if we follow it : If we don’t pick up the first drink one day at a time in a row, we won’t have to TRY to get sober AGAIN.”

BE WELL
Old 12-10-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is a great post WalkingEcho
Old 12-10-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post - thanks for that Echo
Old 12-10-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey walkingecho- That's some good stuff, thanks!

Originally Posted by FacingFuture View Post
Exercise during your normal "drinking time" is incredibly helpful to clear your head.
I'll echo the same in reference to getting exercise. I can not express enough just how important this part has been for me. It's really made my journey much easier.

Lusher
Old 12-10-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good stuff!

But some can be so far down in the physical addiction that only professional medical detox works. Just saying, to make sure everyone consult their doctor before doing anything drastic.

Great thread!
Old 12-10-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Echo
Old 12-10-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Excellent, echo. Thank you!