Notices

Newb

Old 12-09-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newb

Hi. I got sober for the last time four days ago. I have been off and on with sobriety pretty much since I was 14. I'm 35 now. I was doing really well for about 3 months, then I thought it would be okay to have some wine. It opened the floodgates of hell and sent me on a month long jag that turned me into a monster of which the likes I've never seen. I was lying, betraying people I love, drinking pretty much 24 hours a day.

I had a moment where I was going to call out sick to work for the last time, I would surely be fired. Something clicked in me and came clean to my boss, my family, and finally myself. I surrendered.

I detoxed on my own and I'm pretty sure I almost died. For the millionth time, God took pity on me and I did not. The first day I could walk without vomiting I sat down at an AA meeting and have been going every night since. Tonight will be number 3.

I am a human raw nerve right now. Stuck on the fourth step. No sponsor. Crying pretty much all day.

Glad I found this forum.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the family!
Old 12-09-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Birds! So good to have you with us. I think it will help with the anxiety you're feeling, to know you're never alone.

You've been through a lot - and here's where it can end. You can leave the misery behind and never go back to that awful place. Be glad you're seeing at 35 what needs to happen. I continued for many more years, with disastrous results. You can do this!
Old 12-09-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi , Birds-- you never, ever have to feel this way again. Hang in!
Old 12-09-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So glad you found a place to talk to others, keep up the good work.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your name is AWESOME! Welcome

Bunnez
Old 12-09-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Birds; glad you found us.

Don't forget that SR is 24/7/365; there is always someone here cares and truly wants to see you succeed.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey BirdsAteMyFace- Welcome!

I think that you'll find a lot of support in here, which can be a huge help, as this sober stuff isn't always easy.

Congrats for taking action and moving yourself forward. This IS something that you can achieve, and I hope to see you around in here.

Lusher
Old 12-09-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Birds! First off your name stuck up images of the movie The Birds anyway this is a great forum to add to your getting sober tool box. I found your post helpful, you see I'm 23 days sober today got a cold and felt like drinking. Your description of "opening the floodgates" jerked the reality of where a drink will lead me not if , I said will. Keep posting and keep reading. People here have been so helpful. Aa hasn't worked for me but doesn't mean it won't be a winner for u. No matter what don't give up. U must want to live or you wouldn't of came on here or even be having thoughts of stopping drinking. And when I say live I'm talking quality of life not walking dead drunk life. See u around.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank You

Thanks guys. It's just one of those days, I guess. Your words mean a lot.

I've never made my mind up to try to stay sober. I've only gotten sober until the next fiasco. It feels........different.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
...holds the key

It is different...it's deliberate this time.
Right there with you, my friend!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your face.. But you can do this! This time is different if you want it to be!
Old 12-09-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Birds. The raw feeling fades. I hope you feel better soon. If you want a sponsor ask at a meeting if someone will be a temporary sponsor or can give you suggestions.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I felt like crap for a few weeks and still have bad days. Do what they told me at AA. Stay sober and keep coming back.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, Birds.

You 'll find tons of support and wisdom here.

Good to have you on board.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Birds. I would also recommend asking for a temporary sponsor and get as many phone numbers as you can at your next meeting. And stick around here.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Birds. It seems we have a number of things in common though I am 7 years older than you. "Open the floodgates of hell" is exactly what I my last few benders have looked like. I have made literally hundreds of half assed attempts to go sober but this is my first REAL attempt and also my first since I discovered SR. Like you I went sober alone. I am currently on day 25 which may not sound like a lot but I had not done 5 days sober in a row in close to 20 years. If I can do this then you can do this and I intend to do this so make sure you do too. Welcome and good luck.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by BirdsAteMyFace View Post
Hi. I got sober for the last time four days ago. I have been off and on with sobriety pretty much since I was 14. I'm 35 now. I was doing really well for about 3 months, then I thought it would be okay to have some wine. It opened the floodgates of hell and sent me on a month long jag that turned me into a monster of which the likes I've never seen. I was lying, betraying people I love, drinking pretty much 24 hours a day.

I had a moment where I was going to call out sick to work for the last time, I would surely be fired. Something clicked in me and came clean to my boss, my family, and finally myself. I surrendered.

I detoxed on my own and I'm pretty sure I almost died. For the millionth time, God took pity on me and I did not. The first day I could walk without vomiting I sat down at an AA meeting and have been going every night since. Tonight will be number 3.

I am a human raw nerve right now. Stuck on the fourth step. No sponsor. Crying pretty much all day.

Glad I found this forum.

Glad you're here, welcome! Keep posting!
Get a sponsor! Step 4 is huge and as the saying goes.......don't try this one at home

FlyN
Old 12-10-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm looking over the worksheets and stuff and I think I definitely need a sponsor before attempting. I'm kind of horrified to bear my darkest thoughts to another person, though.

I'm so new to recovery, too. I may just not be ready.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by BirdsAteMyFace View Post
Yeah, I'm looking over the worksheets and stuff and I think I definitely need a sponsor before attempting. I'm kind of horrified to bear my darkest thoughts to another person, though.

I'm so new to recovery, too. I may just not be ready.
A sponsor/mentor with some quality sobriety can make a lot of sense based on their experiences. Breathe, go to meetings and share as you feel compelled.

Perhaps just a temporary sponsor - someone to get you connected might be an option.

Keep coming back!!
Kind Regards,
FlyN