Notices

Nice progress in cognitive therapy

Old 12-09-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nice progress in cognitive therapy

I watched this video last night and it constantly reminded me of many of the things we discuss here on SR in the context of addiction, recovery, irritability and anger, relationship problems, etc. Also some recent posts from people on here who are just about to venture into therapy. The video is kinda long and in the beginning it feels a bit artificial (to me) but I think it's interesting and quite entertaining. It's the story of one guy's cognitive therapy progress who has a lot of problems with resistance to change, blaming problems on others and his situations, anger, depression, etc, and has very distinct, definable personality traits and ways of handling things, very stubborn initially. Then things start to change for him as he submits to the therapy process, does his homework, follows instructions etc. I also liked how their therapeutic relationship progresses in the film, clearly his initial anger and hostility serves him in a positive way later in the process.

I also thought to post this because I saw many times people having had success with cognitive therapy approaches or doing similar things even by themselves in recovery... Personally it's not something we use much in my own therapy but for this kind of person in the film it seems quite appropriate.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks! And yay, now I have something to watch! I