Notices

Stopping drink is a waste of time ?

Old 12-08-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Stopping drink is a waste of time ?

Stopping drinking is not a waste of time !

This is a post, I wrote earlier this year:

Dont stop giving up drinking
Tomorrow a 38 Year Father and Husband, will keep his appointment at a Hospital somewhere in the UK, where he will have a Biopsy on his Thyroid Gland.

He was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in Jan 2014 and this was caused in part from excessive alcohol abuse over 2 decades.

This mans lymphatic system has all but shut down and he is very ill, hence the reason for the lack of posts.

He is feeling a little scared about the procedure and has been told theres a 50/50 chance he will come out of this alive.

He worries about what will happen to his Wife and Son, how will they manage without him, what will become of them if he is no longer around.

He thought stopping drinking would be enough but the damage was set and he should have done it sooner.

He hopes he will survive this and promises not to touch another drop again, he just wants another chance, just one chance more to live.

His Son told him today, that he was the best Daddy in the whole world and that makes him strong not to give up.

He want to tell you, dont stop giving up drinking.

His name is Autan and it is easier to write in the third person.

Dont stop giving up drinking
I am alive today because I didn't stop giving up the booze. I found way to make the impossible happen. I had my Biopsy on my Thyroid Gland and it was subsequently removed. I continued to abstain from drinking and reconnected with my family.

Believe me when I say this;

If I had continued to drink, I would not be here today and I would have left behind a Widow and left my Son, Fatherless. Bit selfish really not to stop.

Anyone who believes that stopping drinking is a waste of time, please read this post, it could save your life too.

I have lost close friends to Alcoholic Liver Disease, I have seen other friends die from drinking contaminated alcohol. I myself barely escaped death, I am healthier now, thanks to the support given by SR and AVRT.

I am here, alive. When all the odds were against me, when it seems too late.

This is my Christmas Message to you, when you think you will continue to drink and give up after Christmas, do not fool yourself.

When someone buys you a drink, return it and ask for something else. You will thank yourself.

When your so called friends dont even visit you in Hospital, when your on your arse then they are not worthy to be called friends.

When you can live a free and happy life, with no regrets, why would you delay.

Alcohol doesnt nearly have the hold, you think it does. It just requires skills to identify and refuse all alcohol.

I can now stand to be in a busy pub, with other drinking around me and drink cold water, without any AV at all.

Open invitation, you are welcome to PM if you need to talk or require any help at all.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey autan- This was a very inspirational post. Thank you for sharing it.

I'm glad to see that you were able to put the booze behind you, which undoubtedly saved your life. My reason for stopping was due to a health scare myself. And I, too, wish I would have stopped sooner.

Hopefully people will read this and remember just how bad this stuff can be for us. More so for the people, like me, who have that insatiable thirst and just want more and more.

I wish you continued success with your progress.

Lusher .
Old 12-08-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Originally Posted by Lusher View Post
Hey autan- This was a very inspirational post. Thank you for sharing it.

I'm glad to see that you were able to put the booze behind you, which undoubtedly saved your life. My reason for stopping was due to a health scare myself. And I, too, wish I would have stopped sooner.

Hopefully people will read this and remember just how bad this stuff can be for us. More so for the people, like me, who have that insatiable thirst and just want more and more.

I wish you continued success with your progress.

Lusher .
Thank you Lusher.

Use that insatiable thirst against itself, I too had a mental thirst especially with beer. I found drinking cold water with ice and lemon, helped in the early stages and then tea.

You know TEA became a staple of Englishness when we ruled India in the past 200 years, this is because it can take away the thirstiness. Soldiers drinking water all day, are not very effective, if you catch what I mean. I hope your health gets better, it hopefully will as you remain sober.

Alcohol does so much damage to so many organs, its crazy its still legal, but lets not get into all that.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So well done! Happy for you. That is good advice about not postponing till after Christmas. Hope you have a great one with your family!
Old 12-08-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story!!
Old 12-08-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
So well done! Happy for you. That is good advice about not postponing till after Christmas. Hope you have a great one with your family!
Usually around this time of year, I find myself spending a fortune at Makro buying enough booze so I don't run out. Spending £500 /$700 on alcohol for a 2 week bender, was not unusual and most of this cash ending up, being coughed up down the toilet each morning.

A couple of years ago, my Wife left me to it, I came down on Boxing Day and she had took my Son and gone to the Mother in Laws. She had just had enough, it was all about me and my staying up all night, drinking and falling asleep pouring booze over myself as I fell asleep.

Pretty disgusting now thinking about it, but back then I felt like I wanted a drink and nothing was going to stop me.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great input , really is I think people need to see it for themselves I did looking back its crazy... Thanks
Old 12-08-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Autan

I am so glad you made it!! Congratulations! So good to hear from you
Old 12-08-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Very glad you're still with us Autan!!
Old 12-08-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wonderful post thank you!
Old 12-08-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post Autan!
Old 12-08-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you Autan
Old 12-08-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

great stuff, Autan. Thank you.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Inspiring! Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom! Bravo!!
Old 12-08-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
orangutan

Great post autan, glad to hear your doing well now.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Fantastic post Autan. That is a really powerful reminder that we aren't just hurting ourselves when we drink, we are also hurting those that love us and depend on us.

I have two young children and I am so thankful I am undertaking this journey now as at least I know that I am doing everything that I can to try and make sure their daddy is around to see the milestones in their lives.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

thank you for your courage to post and stay here at SR and share

I am so happy for you that your life has turned around

and I am inspired

Old 12-08-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you, Autan.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Wonderful post, Autan, thank you