Notices

?advice for starting out?

Old 12-08-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

?advice for starting out?

Heya all - So I vowed to myself that I would stop drinking until Christmas just to give myself a not-so-terrifying goal... i managed one night but then tonight I went to a friends place where i had left half a bottle of vodka a couple weeks ago, and it just stared me down until i gave in and drank it and then had another couple at the pub (no one else was drinking either cause its monday :/ ) . I've been feeling on the verge of a panic attack for the past couple of days cause my mind keeps bouncing from "stop drinking!" to "dont be silly you dont need to quit drinking, youre fineeeee".... lol driving me mad.

Anyway I'm just starting this thread to see if anyone could share any advice for people in the early stages of quitting - like some motivation or wisdom or advice on what to do that might be useful for someone struggling ?
Old 12-08-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sure you're gonna get some great advice from some people on here. I am very early days rep94, so I just wanna offer you my support and good wishes. I I'm on day 3, went to AA yesterday, found that very helpful.

One of many things that helped me to admit things had gone wrong was the very fact that I was coming to places like this! (a great place by the way) If we were 'happy normal drinkers' I don't think we'd be here, IMO.

Anyway, good luck to you. Post a lot, and reach out, and read others' posts.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really had to look hard at my lifestyle rep. My life revolved around booze...getting booze, drinking booze, hanging with people who drank booze, being in places that sold booze....

If you really want change you need to make changes man, and some pretty serious ones, to safeguard your recovery.

It's tough and it blows, for a while...
but so does the stuff we're trying to get away from.

At least things get better in recovery

D
Old 12-08-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stay away from pubs, stay away from friends who are drinking, get rid of any alcohol in your home, and take this one day at a time. Read the different forums, join chat if you're so inclined, maybe look into checking out some AA meetings.

Welcome to SR.! You'll find lots of folks who share the struggle. Christmas is a great goal. How about starting with today?
Old 12-08-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Rep welcome to SR and to the forum youl get tons of support here

Wisdom - http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html

Motivation - http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2014-a-15.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-27-a.html

Rep Acceptance like jack said is key

Here is 2 links for cravings

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

Good luck Rep
Old 12-08-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

This bounce or conflict is the battle between the real you and the addiction. It is a cry for help, where you are recognising you have a problem. Now you need to acquire the skills and techniques required to be able to deal with this.
There is tonnes of support here, for you to learn, but you need to embrace this conflict for what it is. The voice telling you, your not really an alcoholic, or you can cut down, is just the addiction, trying to pacify you into picking up booze.

The problem booze has, is that it needs your consent.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In the beginning, you may need to avoid places where there is alcohol. You need to find your sober footing first. One thing you can do, is to come here before you drink again.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm on day two now and feeling very determined. I have a wedding on sat and a work party on Sunday at a winery. Both are going to be a challenge but I think I can do it thus time. Stay strong
Old 12-08-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rep94 View Post

Anyway I'm just starting this thread to see if anyone could share any advice for people in the early stages of quitting - like some motivation or wisdom or advice on what to do that might be useful for someone struggling ?

Hi Rep.
Well one motivating factor for many is continue living as alcohol can take us out in a heartbeat.

As a start we need to really want to stop drinking, not playing head games.
The way this starts is difficult with the majority of us and that’s being honest with ourself about our drinking and stop glamorizing what we think it was.

Next is accepting we cannot drink in safety one day at a time in a row.

Simple so far! Now we avoid all drinking situations without the BS reasons. Then I went to many AA meetingS and do so today many years later. Reading and following suggestions posted here daily helps a lot when we do it.

Next we change the person that got to that thinking of stopping drinking by recognizing our characteristics that we drank for.

This all takes time so it’s not that overwhelming as it looks.

The big help for me was the words at meetings “KEEP COMING.”

BE WELL
Old 12-08-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just take it ONE day at a time. Best you can do. You only have today really anyhow. Also, avoid friends, places, etc. that have alcohol. If you want sobriety, you need to be willing to do the work.

Stay sober today and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

Good luck.