The Language of Letting Go, Dec. 7

Old 12-07-2014, 02:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Language of Letting Go, Dec. 7

DECEMBER 7

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go."

When the Time is Right

There are times when we simply do not know what to do, or where to go, next. Sometimes these periods are brief, sometimes lingering.

We can get through these times. We can rely on our program and the disciplines of recovery. We can cope by using our faith, other people, and our resources.

Accept uncertainty. We do not always have to know what to do or where to go next. We do not always have clear direction. Refusing to accept the inaction and limbo makes things worse.

It is okay to temporarily be without direction. Say, "I don't know," and be comfortable with that. We do not have to try to force wisdom, knowledge, or clarity when there is none.

While waiting for direction, we do not have to put our life on hold. Let go of anxiety and enjoy life. Relax. Do something fun. Enjoy the love and beauty in your life. Accomplish small tasks. They may have nothing to do with solving the problem, or finding direction, but this is what we can do in the interim.

Clarity will come. The next step will present itself. Indecision, inactivity, and lack of direction will not last forever.

Today, I will accept my circumstances even if I lack direction and insight. I will remember to do things that make myself and others feel good during those times. I will trust that clarity will come of its own accord.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, I really, really needed this today. Thank you so much for posting this. I usually post over on friends and family of substance abusers but always come over here and read, as my AH has trouble with both. I just got a letter from legal aide and I have an appt. for help on Tuesday. AH and I have been separated since April after a twenty year marriage, and now I feel pressed to make a decision. With his behavior in the last year, maybe it should be easy, but it's just not. I hate the thought of divorce, but how long do you hang on through all the craziness?

Anyway, just wanted to say thank you, as this definately resonated today.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thankyou honeypig
Old 12-07-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
DECEMBER 7

Accept uncertainty.

While waiting for direction, we do not have to put our life on hold. Let go of anxiety and enjoy life. Relax. Do something fun. Enjoy the love and beauty in your life. Accomplish small tasks. They may have nothing to do with solving the problem, or finding direction, but this is what we can do in the interim.
There is such great wisdom in this. Yet it's still a terribly hard thing for me to do at times. I've been having to do a lot of it lately as a mother.

When I find myself anxious over things which I have no control, I have had to learn how to take a few minutes to physically and then spiritually calm myself. If I step away, close my eyes, take some slow deep breaths, and then just pray...asking God to take over (Let Go and Let God, right?)...I find the peace I'm looking for. It helps me to visualize physically handing to God the person or situation I'm obsessing about, and then just leaving it all in his hands, trusting, letting go. And then I get back to living life. Sometimes I have to repeat this several times a day, but it's enormously helpful.

Thanks, honeypig, for taking the time to post these daily readings!