Wanting to know more about their recovery

Old 12-06-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wanting to know more about their recovery

Is it unusual to want to know more about a loved one's recovery? And is it okay to inquire?
Old 12-07-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I guess it would depend on who that loved one is and how close you are to them. Is this someone in your immediate family?
Old 12-07-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess it would depend on who that loved one is and how close you are to them. Is this someone in your immediate family?
Old 12-07-2014, 10:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Allthatsgood....

For me I think about it like any other type of medical problem, or serious issue going on in the life of someone we love...

I think its normal to want to know how someone is doing.. its care and concern.. I think theoretically it should be ok to ask them, but it depends on the dynamics of the relationship.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think its good to focus on the overall relationship with the person, and this would be one part of their life. I feel ok to ask my husband anything, of course he can always not answer. Ha!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me, personally, this is a slippery slope. The alcoholic in my life is my grandson and I cared for him as a child. Continuing that level of care and concern when he is an adult does not serve him or I.

It IS natural to want to know how someone is doing - but when the someone is an alcoholic or an addict, it can drive you crazy and not help them to do so. So best to keep a distance (for me).
Old 12-23-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

seek--sharing my own experience with three daughters--all under the age of 22--a couple in their teens when going through addiction. have found that there can be a lot of denial in this age...especially if they are ashamed and embarrassed by their actions--now my immediate family is fairly nonverbal except for me, youngest child of 5, and 4 year old grandson...so I have had to learn to be more quiet and use observation of body language, sensing, and other nonverbal things as well as hugs to the ying yang--that is my best demonstration of love...a warm close hug (unless the child or person doesn't welcome body contact--had a few of those too at least for a long while).