Notices

I feel so broken

Old 12-06-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I feel so broken

Hi all...

Just need some support right now... I've been clean for 9 days, from my DOC (opiates, what I'm trying to kick) that is. So close to 10! I am really happy and proud about it but feel like inevitably I'm going to use. Just thinking about throwing the days away is depressing at the same time! A friend of mine started chatting with me again, after telling me to lose his number.... It's that time of month for those stupid things to come and the wench in the back of my mind knows it too. I should tell him I just can't talk to him for awhile, or block him... But a small part of me (probably that wench) isn't doing it, holding me back... Not sure how to handle it... Not sure if he would stop talking to me but know he would be supportive of me quitting.. But if I begged hard enough I know I could manipulate him... You see how she works it's already planned out.. Why am I like this? I've been thinking about drinking lately too and I'm not a drinker at all... Replacement? I always say I hate being sober why? Do I hate myself that much? Yes I think I do. I'm out of weed and it's driving me nuts. (I think I even have a problem with this I just wanna puff away all day where I used to just do it at night or if I was upset or what not and it's just spiraled from there.)
Been trying to quit smoking cigs the past few days too where I have this crap cold.. But should I be quitting more than one thing at once? Does it not matter? Dying for a cigarette is a very good distraction I will say lol. But that discussion is another time and place. Sorry I'm all over the map here scatter brained I suppose.
I've been wondering about a lot of things not sure if it will help me but would like to try but don't know how to go about it... Hoping maybe someone somewhere has some suggestions...
How do you find your 'higher power' or even begin to figure it out? How do you control all these emotions without automatically going to "omg I'm upset I need a pill whatever I'm this I'm that).
I was also interested in trying meditation. Not sure how tho I didn't know if anyone had any suggestions or stories of their own experience with these things.
I try researching these things but I'm not very bright and don't get it I guess. I've explored this site a little bit but I feel like I'm missing so much using my 'smart phone' (all I have right now...)
Also, to be more annoying.. Didn't know if anyone had any suggestions on books about addiction I could read to keep my mind busy. Or good books in general I guess maybe I should think about other things in life.
But anyways... I apologize for the long post, rambling away. I don't mean to be a bother.
Thank you in advance! If anyone makes it this far ha. Please let me know if I'm out of line!
Old 12-06-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not a bother. Hang in there. I don't think relapse for anyone is inevitable. I needed a plan and support to start and to keep going. All you can do every day is ensure you don't use.

I smoke. I didn't quit when I quit drinking. I felt I had enough on my plate without quitting that as well but other people have quit it at the same time. It's whatever works for you, really.

Post away. We are here to listen.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Ruby!
Old 12-06-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Allyx, I just wanted you to know that I am sending you good thoughts!
Old 12-06-2014, 09:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there! You can do it. I quit things one at a time until I was stone cold sober. It was a real challenge but came with some huge rewards. I miss it at times and there's still a little voice trying to get me to give in but I think about how hard it was to get sober and my "days" and my wallet and my health and... You get the idea:-)
-Ted
Old 12-07-2014, 02:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 9 Allyx when i got sober the first book i read was living sober

i found thayt really useful

and i recently another book on mind management its called the chimp paradox by dr steve peters i found that really useful

good luck
Old 12-07-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you posted. Well done on 9 days!

If I read correctly you possibly have a few addictions that you are tackling at the same time. Weed, pills, cigs. Alcohol would surely become another if you turn to it for numbing your feelings.

We pretty much have a common trait, addictive personalities. Good news is that you can start healing from your addictions, with support and some work on your inner daemons.

But to do that, we have to accept "feeling" our feelings. Unpleasant at the beginning, but like life becomes real. Up's and downs are normal, I always tried to be up all the time with booze. Until I was face down on the floor.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

On 'controlling' emotions.....

Shift your goal. It's not about controlling them, it's about allowing them to be without them controlling you.

On finding your higher power...

First all you need is willingness. In the morning, simply say 'please help me today'. In the evening 'thank you for today'. Start simple and remain open. And watch a lot of sunrises.

On meditation....

There are many things to learn but to begin is very very simple. Set a timer for ten minutes. Sit comfortably in a quiet place. Use a candle or simply a point on a wall to generally gaze at. And Sit there. As thoughts arise, simply observe them, label them as 'thinking', then return your attention to your breath. Repeat that over and over with any and all thoughts. Don't follow the thoughts down their story path, but if you do, don't be upset or frustrated. Simply recognize the 'thinking' and return to the breath. Do this daily for a week. The next week sit for 20 minutes. The next week 30. It really isn't hard and it really is effective. If you hit a point you feel you just can't stand sitting there another second (you will) - keep sitting. It will pass.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There are also many free meditation apps that could help you get started. A lot of people here have used AVRT to help them recognize their addictive voice (the wench).

Congratulations on 9 days!
Old 12-07-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Allyx, there are some very special days ahead for you but you will only see them in retrospect. We build trust with ourselves by not giving up 5 seconds before the miracle happens. Using is familiar. Familiar is not safe. Not anymore. Congrats on 10 days. I have 180 or so and have a decent list of positive changes if I look back. My only plan is not drink and maybe add some squats and push-ups to my "half hour of power" workout that for now only consists of 1 mile walking fast on full incline. I started at .25 a month or so ago. My point is things tend to fall into place without too much effort if I just don't use and sometimes just doing whatever is in front of me is the answer. Sometimes I have to try something way outside my comfort zone.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have seen ones in this condition attend church and AA and find exactly what they are looking for.

Mountainman
Old 12-07-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome Allyx, good to meet you

I'm also an ex weed smoker, pill dropper, etc.

Have you thought about NA or another narcotics group in your area ?

A book that really helped me was You Can Heal Your Life, by Louise Hay.

What makes you think you're not very bright ? You sound pretty clever to me x
Old 12-07-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ally, we have an extensive and wonderful book list:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rituality.html
Old 12-07-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much! I appreciate the suggestions and support
Day 10 today!
Spent some time with my sister niece and daughter today went on a carriage ride saw some horses.. It was freezing but had a good time! Not thinking about the pills is getting easier.
I got an Ecig thing today.. Not sure how I feel about it. It says it's not supposed to help you quit... Oops
Anna! I did find that sticky after posting this haha I have been pouring over it since, so many choices!!
^ that's kinda what I mean about not very bright haha.
Thank you all again!!
Old 12-07-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm not sure about NA, I have found a page online that tells when and where they are but I'm afraid to go alone... People are there?!
Old 12-07-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

there should be a hotline for your district. best to call first. More like an answering svc in most areas. You call them, they have a recovering addict call you back.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh wow, that sounds good I'll look into that it doesn't hurt to call... Thank you anatta!
Old 12-07-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi! NA would be good, posting on here helps too, humans are social creatures, don't be alone
As for books, shantaram is awesome, it's not an addiction book, but its a fantastic story and you'll fall in love with the characters, they'll feel like your friends everyone I've recommended it to has adored it.
Xoxo
Old 12-07-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you jsbohdi! I will add that book to my list.
Social yes... I always feel like everyone hates me.. Wah wah right ha
Old 12-07-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by allyx View Post
Thank you jsbohdi! I will add that book to my list.
Social yes... I always feel like everyone hates me.. Wah wah right ha
Wah wah heehee!
Well I find you charming, I'm sure you're not nearly as horrible as you think!
I felt like people hated me sometimes too. Oh wait! They probably saw me blackout drunk!!!! That explains it!
Just kidding, don't be so hard on yourself, it's exhausting!