Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I drank wine in 2nd trimester, did anyone drink during pregnancy & baby was healthy

Notices

I drank wine in 2nd trimester, did anyone drink during pregnancy & baby was healthy

Old 12-06-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I drank wine in 2nd trimester, did anyone drink during pregnancy & baby was healthy

I didn't know I was pregnant till I was 6 months... I had periods and was on birth control. I am due on 1/27/2015 according to what I remember I drank beer out with friends a lot probably the first 4 Weeks of conceiving and then went a few months had abstained from anything. That would have been my first trimester. Then I started drinking wine with my girlfriends through out the week no more more than 2 glasses twice a week she got engaged I was helping her plan her wedding! I was clueless and went to the dr coz I felt sick thats when I got the news, that would have made it my second trimester being that is a total if I drank at all About 2 4oz glasses a day twice a week. Occasionally I recall having a 12 oz beer of miller draft. I was 6 - 6 1/2 months when I found out. I'm now 7 months and starting to read stories on fas, I'm stressed and terrified . I have always carried small and my daughter who's 7 I carried this way I drank 3 glasses throughout my whole pregnancy w her and smoked intell 5 months. She is brilliant and beautiful!!! This time around I vaped a 12 mg e cig during those 6 months I was also trying to quit smoking. !
What are the odds of my baby having fas ?! I didn't even know about fas and my research has scared me to death. I drank moderately and have abstained since I found out..... Has anyone been through this ? Did your babies come out just fine ? I'm not an alcoholic I am/ was a social drinker. Please don't be mean or rude as I said I did not do this knowingly. I'm beating myself up and couldn't live with myself I'm not even an alcoholic but I read a thread from pinkfirefly and decided to come here for advice.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there. I'm sorry you are scared. We are not allowed to give medical advice on this website. This site is used to help each other stay sober. I think the best thing for you to do is talk to your doctor.

Good luck and be well. Try not to worry too much. Worrying doesn't help anything anyway.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Scal.

I'm sorry you're so stressed over this. I had a similar situation. I didn't know I was pregnant until my 3rd month. I too was using birth control. I continued to drink up until I found out, then stopped. My baby didn't have any signs of fas. I hope your doctor can give you some reassurance?
Old 12-06-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

With my third and last daughter I did. My midwife told me a glass of wine was ok to relax and I could have one every night. I never did the entire pregnancy until Thanksgiving night. I guess I was 5 or 6 months and my landlord gave us a bottle of wine as a gift. My husband only drinks beer and having just gotten the above mentioned advice from my midwife I had one, maybe two glasses while I was in bed. I knocked me right out. Didn't touch a drink again until after she was born and she was completely healthy. Talk with your doctor about the drinking you did prior to knowing you were pregnant. I'm sure you're baby is fine. He/she are in my prayers.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope so I'm absolutely terrified I made the works mistake you could make and not even knowingly. Drinking in the second tri and in my case through out the second tri even though it's moderate has given me so much fear that I've done something to her.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My best advice is to stay off the internet. It'll scare the crap out of you when it comes to babies. It could probably convince you that using toilet paper could somehow hurt your baby.

That being said, from what I read it's unknown how much is safe and how much isn't in regards to alcohol and pregnancy. They say binge drinking (5+ drinks over a short period of time) is harmful. They also say drinking during the first trimester is harmful. Please don't quote me on all of that, I'm just going off memory. So, according to all of that you're probably in the "safe" zone.

I struggled with alcoholism with my last baby. I'm absolutely not proud of it but I was a different person back then. My baby is 15 mo old and he is showing no signs of FAS. My suggestion is: 1. Don't drink for the rest of your pregnancy. 2. Talk with your doctor about it. Perhaps he/she could put your mind at ease 3. Stay off the internet. Google is not your friend 4. Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!
Old 12-06-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Also, please feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk some more about this. Believe me, I know how it feels to be afraid you hurt your own baby.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's good to hear im not alone lulu ! I agree Id be stress free if I never googled
Anything :/ I am trying to private message you I need 5 posts in order
To do that. So I will as son as I can I have a few questions for you.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's considerably less then what I've consumed I'd be far
Less terrified if i were in your shoes at that time. I won't tell doc becuase I'm afraid of being judged @timetochange
Old 12-06-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Scal88 View Post
I won't tell doc becuase I'm afraid of being judged
You have to tell your doctor...this isn't just about you anymore. And they have heard it many times before, so it's for the best.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm afraid they will report me or something! That would be horrible if I didn't do that knowingly
Old 12-06-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Scal88 View Post
I'm afraid they will report me or something! That would be horrible if I didn't do that knowingly
Your medical records are private and drinking a couple glasses of wine is not a criminal offense. Your doctor is there to help, but they cannot if you are not truthful. Is it just the past drinking that concerns you or are you still drinking?
Old 12-06-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was in your position twice I totally understand the fear you have. Let me tell you, chances are that everything will be okay! Just stay away from the bottle from this point on!! I found out I was pregnant about 6 weeks in with both kiddos and I drank HARD before I found out. I would binge on 6+ beers several times a week. Once I found out I was pregnant I stopped drinking immediately and told my doctor about it. They said not to worry about it, chances are that all would be well. And guess what? It was! I have two beautiful vivacious smart babies who are healthy and excelling in every way. Don't touch another drink, take your prenatals, drink plenty of water and try not to stress anymore.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have read the first tri is the most important but it's so hard to believe being the baby gets no blood supply till I believe 13 weeks. That's why I'm so worried! I drank enough to make my baby drink too in those sittings. I am glad to hear your babies are healthy your just another survivor in the scare ... It's really scary and knowing I had all control makes it worse if only I knew and hadn't drank. Idk why I kept having my period why I didn't know sooner like you. The stress is tremendous I am trying very hard not to stress as you say thanks for your story.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

They used to say a glass of wine a day would actually be good, now they say that no amount is safe.

That being said, my wife had a drink occasionally and everything was fine.

From what I've heard, and I have been through it numerous times, heavy binge drinking in the first trimester leads to the worst problems.

Don't stress about it. Just don't drink anymore. The baby responds to the stress hormone in you also.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
You have to tell your doctor...this isn't just about you anymore. And they have heard it many times before, so it's for the best.
A million % this
Old 12-07-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Scal88

I agree you need to be honest with your Dr - your babies health depends on it.

I'm not condoning drinking or saying it's ok, but think about it - many of us were born in the 1940s through the 60s (some of us even earlier). Drinking was not uncommon in pregnancy, and most of us turned out ok.

Be honest, get checked out...try not to worry

D
Old 12-07-2014, 03:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You have to tell your doctor. Do not leave out the part (and i strongly emphasize this) that you drank NOT KNOWING you were pregnant. I'm sure everything is fine, because what we worry and obsess over rarely happens. Stress and anxiety will harm baby too. I think your mind will be eased once you talk to doctor.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So far baby is healthy, she moves a lot which I hear that means she's strong ! I went to dr and I'm measuring 36cm at 33 weeks! So that's great!!!
Old 12-08-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

I was drinking quite heavy until I found out I was pregnant. I found out quite early though (I was like 6 weeks along)....but the kind of drinking I did before I found out was scary. I was scared at times thinking something would be wrong with my baby. I had a very healthy baby girl 3 years ago.

Keep seeing your doctor & be honest with your doctor about drinking. By now you should've had your ultrasounds where they do the measurements & check for any markers that show any issues. If everything is all clear, just stick with that. You can't change the past but you can certainly change from this day forward.

(((hugs)))